Case - Motherboard compatibility

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by pcgamer72, Dec 27, 2003.

1. pcgamer72

pcgamer72 Geek Trainee

Hey guys, yup I have another question. :). As I said in my other posts, I have a 2350 Dell computer. I recently found out that Dell decided it would be cool not to give me an AGP slot, so I am in the hunt for a new motherboard. My friend mentioned to me that the cases Dell uses might not be the standard ATX sizes or even ATX at all. Does anyone know if they are ATX and what size a 2350 would be, if it is ATX? Thanks a lot.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, Dell has proprietary motherboards. The main thing to be aware of is that they've got their PSU's wired differently than your standard ones. If you put a non-Dell mobo in, you'll fry it. So you'd need a standard PSU (anything NOT Dell, basically) to go with the new board. I'm not able to find the system on Dell's site, but my guess is that it's a Micro ATX board (mATX). Going by the 2400 series is the closest I can come, and that has 3 PCI slots. Unless Dell has some extremely wierd reason, anything with 3 PCI slots in their desktop system is going to be mATX.

If you're going to get a new motherboard, get a good PSU and some case to go with it.

3. pcgamer72

pcgamer72 Geek Trainee

Hey. I got a really nice new Alienware case, a FX 5200 (had to go cheaper here, cuz of lack of funds), and a P4P800. I got the card and mb for $272. I think thats pretty good... isnt it?

4. pcgamer72

pcgamer72 Geek Trainee

I took the PSU out of the Dell and put it in the new case, before I read your post, and it is running fine. Is it ok? Or is it bad for the comp with the Dell PSU?

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, if it's working, must be okay. I'm just going by what I've read elsewhere. You'd have fried the motherboard if they had it rigged up differently.