Case with power supply needed!

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by dowzer, Oct 19, 2005.

1. dowzer

dowzer Geek Trainee

I am about to upgrade my pc and was gonna just get a new power supply and keep my old case - now after reading some posts here could anyone recommend a case with a power supply which would be suitable for a modest Athlon 64 3000,Asus A8N-E,X800GT,2 x 512 PC3200,2 Hard Drives, etc. I am in the UK so links to sites over here to specific cases would be greatly appreciated.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Unless you go with some cases from SuperMicro that happen to be a few hundred dollars, pretty much every case that comes with a power supply is going to be using a very cheap and crummy power supply. While Antec is the sole exception, I think you'll find that a 350W power supply by pretty much any company out there is simply not going to be enough to power what you've got.

The CoolerMaster Stacker is a pretty sweet unit as well as Antec's P180. Same with ThermalTake's Tsunami cases. Those brand (well save ThermalTakes fugly Xaser line) have some nice, stylish cases. Not the cheapest ($100-$150 online here in the US), but some well constructed ones.

As for power supplies, a lot of UK folks have found the 480W unit from Tagan to be a helluva unit for a reasonable price. Hiper's 480W and 500W+ units would also be resonable. I've been very happy with my Enermax EG565P-VE, and you should be able to find a UK variant (I believe it to be the EG565P-AX) that would also be a good unit without having to sell a kidney.

3. matthewrpenny

matthewrpenny Geek Trainee