CD rewriter won't work

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by jaffacake2000, May 12, 2002.

1. jaffacake2000

jaffacake2000 Geek Trainee

I've got a Wearness 4x4x24 CD-rewriter on a AMD 1hgz with 128Mb SDRAM, it shows it's copying files to the CD but it doesnt

When i try to read the CD after its copied it, the CD-ROM does not find it or it takes forever to find it slowing everything or it reports there no disk/cd in the drive

When i try to read the CD using the CD-rewriter it says disk is inaccessible or to insert a disk/cd in the drive.

So, i put the 4x4x24 inside my Pentium 166mhz with 64Mb ram, it does the same but when i click on the cd-rom or cd-rw it opens but theres no files copied.

First i thought on the AMD 1hgz is it a motherboard problem? or IDE cable problem? but it cant be because it works on both PC's on 2 different motherboards and 2 different IDE cables.

On both machines i've connected it as secondary master, using Roxio Easy CD- Creater and Nero burner. I've also download and installed ASPI drivers - no luck.

Any ideas? or have i been sold a duff CD-RW?

When i tried using direct CD after finishing coping i get the message

"Bus reset. drive reported an unknown error (0x000000e) you will not be able to record and write to the CD through drive letters"

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

It does sound like you've got a bad burner. Probably best to buy a name brand, like Plextor or TDK.

3. jaffacake2000

hi, thanx.

do you know if the freecom brand is any good?

(I dont have a lot money to splash out on a HP, plextor, TDK or similar types. :) )

4. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

yeh, does sound like a bad burner! I have read some good things for freecom re/writers, they are a good cheap solution. Though still Plextore etc drives aren't that expensive!? maybe they are where you live?

5. jaffacake2000

kewl, im off to get the freecom before the price goes up again, in pc world. Im in London, UK. Normally the prices are high in their hundreds but i think the freecom's on a good price at the moment.

its a 20x10x40 with burnproof technology.

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, if it doesn't work, you can easily return it for a replacement or refund.:)

7. jaffacake2000

its been one year now sitting inside my pc without me being able to use it.

I didnt take it out at that time coz i didnt have any time to mess around with my new pc.

8. jaffacake2000

Latest update

I went out and bought a proper branded CD-RW after all. Its a philips 24x12x40 with 8MB buffer

When i got to the shop the freecom's price went up again past its 100's (£), so my next best choice was Philips after sony. (i think they're ok, since i have philips speakers and shaver)

However, when i installed the CD-RW first it did give me a some little problems. When i used Roxio easy cd creater 5 platinum (v5.2) it couldnt find the CD in the drive, wouldnt recognise it or even find the drive. But after checking in device manager, the driver was there ok. So, i uninstalled the Roxio platinum version and installed Roxio easy cd creater 5.1 which came with the drive and now everythings working.

I couldnt understand why, there was this problem. Anyway, so the cd-rw can read and write cd's however when put some of the utility cd's in the cd-rw it can't read them. - wierd!

Although i got plenty of free disk space, 2.1Gb, 128mb ram and the burner has a 8Mb buffer, it says on the box fast - but not really, shouldnt it be flying at warp speed with those specs?

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

It could be the media you are using. I've heard that some of the newer burners will automatically burn at the appropriate speeds if the media isn't up to snuff at that particular speed. The 8MB buffer is just a bigger space for holding the data, and while it is fast, the max burning speed of the drive is the max and will not go any higher, regardless of how much extra cache it has. The more cache helps in preventing coasters along with the burnproof technology.

I've moved away from EZ CD Creator because of the problems it's given me. I use Nero instead.

10. jaffacake2000

I know theres lot of people with burners these days....so did anyone have similar problems after first installing the drive? or is it normal for these problems...

i havent installed the setup software that came with the philips burner its just working with EZ cd creator that came with the drive....should i install it?

or is it like dont fix while its no broke?

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah, if it's working, probably don't need the other stuff.

12. theultimatechuff

theultimatechuff Geek Trainee

I feel like every post ive made here is just agreeing with Big B but hey.

I have always used Nero, tried EasyCDC briefly but it annoyed the hell out of me. As it works i'd say stick with it I had a new burner that wouldnt work with the latest Nero, had to wait a few weeks for an update.

As for the other software be careful what yo install, it will all be nothing malicious but may slow down your computer, I've heard bad things about the packet writing software (directCD ?) that comes with EasyCDC taking ove your system.

You mention its running slowly, how slow? If you are writing at full speed (24x) then a full 80min CD should take 3-4min plus the extra time it seems to take at the end of burning to actually finish off and spit the disc out. Is this about the speed you get?

13. jaffacake2000

I know someone who has a compaq 256mb ram, 8x cd-rw and it feels the same on my 24x10x40. it feels like a 8x. So far i only burned data files at the rate of 1, 2, or 4 at a time.

I've got direct-cd installed with EZ but havent used it yet...i dunno if i should use it after what u said, but then again its only been 3 days and i can take it back in 14 days...i dont really want to go into all that as when i first installed it and it didnt find the cd in there or the drive i wanted to screeeamm! I thought...Noooo! not another duff cd-rw and felt like crying, i just spent £80 on it where i could have got one for £50. £80 was a lot for me and i had a headache that day after i bought but i looked on the good side - its future proof: 24x10x40, 8Mb buffer, philips is a good brand but i never dreamed about having a problem. I was expecting to just slide it in and start rolling.

My biggest nightmare would be to see that message again:
    "F:\ is not accessible" or no media in f:\ insert new media

Its amazing how the better version, platinum won't work with the drive and the basic version *will* work :rolleyes:

14. theultimatechuff

theultimatechuff Geek Trainee

If you are only burning a few MB you will probably not notice much difference, with my computer (and Nero) it takes a while after the bar has reached 100% before it actually has finished. I notice no difference between an 8x and a 16x drive when burning small files, the difference when burning a whole CD was amazing.

Don't worry about direct-CD too much and good luck.