Cd-rw

Discussion in 'General Software' started by harrack52, Jan 21, 2003.

1. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I have a cd-rw : samsung SW-408B.

I inserted a cd-rw with files on it, xp prompted me with the install of udf reader, installed it and rebooted. Then I wanted to delete 1 folder from the cd but xp does not let me so I copied all the files that were on the cd on my desktop then erased the cd to then put back the files on it without the folder I wanted to delete but I told myself it was stupid to do so. So I installed Easy cd creator 5.0 platinum after uninstalling udf reader. After rebooting, the program could not see my drive as it was not supported, I updated to the latest version (5.3.2 I think)rebooted then updated again with a file that supports more drives, rebooted again. I put the cd which is now empty in the drive but direct cd does not recognize de cd as a recordable disc although it sees the cd, so I cannot format it. I started easy cd creator and tried to erase it but the "erase" button is disabled. I put another cd-rw in and it sees it just fine. I then tried to copy my files on that working cd just like you do with a floppy disk but it freezed, I tried and tried again and it freezed and freezed again. I copied my files file by file and it worked for all of them but for one which freezes the computer when trying to copy it.

Has anyone had any issue with easy cd creator under xp ?
    It would be odd since roxio designed the software that xp uses(which is really bad as I can see) - it worked well with a cd-r but not with a cd-rw.

I know for a fact that the cd that is not recognized was working before I used it in xp.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Early on I knew they had some incompatiblities, but I stopped paying attention since I use Nero. I can't think of the forums Syngod spoke of, but there is one devoted specifically to CD-RW drives. I'll have to look around and see if I can dig it up.

3. syngod

syngod Moderator

Probably the best forum for cdr related issues is CD Freaks. I'd suggest getting rid of Easy CD Creator and going with Nero if it's compatible with your system and you don't mind shelling out the $30 or so they want for it.

Nero tends to have nowhere near the compatibilty problems and bugs Roxio's software does, and with Aheads constant updates any bugs should be fixed rather quickly after being discovered.

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I already have nero I just don't know how to use it, I guess I'm gonna have to learn

thanks for all the help, for this and everything else !! :)

5. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

Nero, is quite a simple program to use, have you tried using the wizards?

6. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

no I haven't
    what I liked about roxio is that you could use a cd-rw like a disk, can you do that with nero ? (without having to open it everytime)

7. syngod

syngod Moderator

I'm not sure if you have InCD installed but that is Ahead's program like Direct CD from Roxio. if you don't have it installed you can grab it from Ahead's website and as long as your using Nero 4 or 5 it will install the full version.

Just make sure to remove all traces of both Easy CD Creator and Direct CD before installing as Direct CD is notorious for corrupting other burning soft.

8. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I just installed incd and right now I'm formatting the cd that roxio was not seeing properly so it looks fine plus it does not slow down the computer as much as roxio's directcd so thanks a lot :)

9. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

well there'S a problem !
    everytime I put a cd-rw in the drive, xp reboots automatically, if I leave it in when rebooting, it reboots almost instantly after having typed the password to log on, if I boot with no cd in the drive, I can see my cd drive in "my computer" but it doesn'T see any cds that I put in. If I put another type of cd(while booting) it works just fine but if I put a cd-rw while inside xp it also reboots. so whenever xp sees a cd-rw, it reboots !
    I've tried many times with cd-rws and other types of cds and made sure that the problem is with cd-rws

a couple months ago I had installed xp and it did the exact same thing which made me go back to 98.
    is this a known/common issue ?

I have nero 5.5.0.3 and InCD 3.51.91
    I'm positive that there is absolutely no trace whatsoever of any other burning software.

10. syngod

syngod Moderator

Try opening the properties menu on your cd-rw drive in the "My Computer" window and uncheck "enable cd recording on this drive". I know more than a few people have had problems with media and turning off XP's built in burning soft seems to help.

11. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

It was turned off.

I went on ahead's website and there's a section where they talk about crashes wen you insert a cd but it involves scsi devices , compaq computers, win nt and I have none of that, or it involves any type of cds but I only have problems with cd-rw, I made sure my cd-writer was compatible with my version of nero, I checked on their site if my cd-writer had problems with certain brand of cds but that's not the case either anyway I have already used them.