cd writer detecting problem

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Muaaz1992, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Muaaz1992

Muaaz1992 Geek Trainee

i recently tried to put my hard disk on my pc while it was switched on. the pc hanged and after i restarted it,the 2nd hard drive which i connected started makin noise. so i removed it. and when i connected mt cdr with the cable(the cable i used to connect 2nd hard)it is not working for me. could anyone tell me the solution.is my port is broken or anything else. if port is broken then tell me the solution. and my existing port is ide.thanx in advance.

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

First of all, you NEVER work on a computer when it is turned on... You are only asking for trouble...You probably damage the hard drive.. next What is the CD set too ? Master/slave/cable select.??

3. Muaaz1992

Muaaz1992 Geek Trainee

the cd is set to slave.and my hard think had been damaged. now what should i do?

4. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Well, does it boot ? Tell me about your problem more, what is on both hard drives, and what OS are you using ?(operating system) there is software out to repair damage hard drives, What is the make and model ? What are the errors you are getting ?

5. Muaaz1992

Muaaz1992 Geek Trainee

no. when i connect the hard drive then the hard drive starts making a loud noise like it has been crashed. and computer just hangs at the mainboard manufacturer display. i am using win xp.i dont care about hard disk i just want to fix my cd writer problem. but if u could fix the hard then it is apreciated.i will tell u the model later. bcz i had open the pc for knowing model and if i could be found without opening tell me.

i am new to forums therefore replying late. i dont know how things are gone in forums. therefore sorry for late replys. and thanx in advance for contribution in solving my problem.anything else u want to ask about my problem?

6. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Ok, First things first.. What is the CD doing ? Does it lite up ? Is it recognized ? Does it show up under my computer as D: drive ? Is it on the same IDE cable as your hard drive ?

7. Muaaz1992

Muaaz1992 Geek Trainee

the problem is with ide not with power cable.that is why it is lite up and i could open it and place a cd in it. the cd drive I: is also present but before crashing my ide it was G:. but when i put a cd the cd rom reads it but when i click cd drive on my computer it says. there is no disk or something like this. my cd rom is also not present in my computer properties hardware as if it is not recognized.and also in the mainboard bios the cdrom show that it is not installed. plz reply soon bcz i am totally relying on you.and thanx in advance

8. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Ok, What kind of computer is this ? Dell / hp /Compaq ??? Does it have a side cover that comes off ? The problem is in your IDE cable, When you removed the other hard drive it messed things up.
    If you look at the inside of the computer you will see three IDE ribbons, Thats if you have a floppy drive.. The floppy drive ribbon will be smaller, dont worry about that one..
    You should have one going to the hard drive and the other too the cd rom.. Is this the way you have it ?

9. Muaaz1992

Muaaz1992 Geek Trainee

my pc is dell optilex 170L. and there is no floppy drive i.e. there are only two ide cables one going to the hard disk drive( which is set to the master) and the second is going to the cd writer device which is also set to master. i used new cables to install cd writer but the problem is same. also i tried other hard drives to the cd rom ide cable but they are not working. also i tried to connect the cd rom to the first ide(on which hard disk master drive is connected) but it is not working there) i think my mainboard second ide port has been damaged.if the port is damaged then what should i do and if it is not damaged then what could be the problem?

10. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Is the cd new and did it come with drivers ? if you have a driver disk for that cd, then I would hook everything back up like it is suppose to be, then go in and Delete the Cd driver and reinstall them.. they could of got corrupted ...You might of burned out that cd as well, not sure though..
    If the IDE port is bad, then you can try to hook up the CD and hard drive on the same port, You will just have to put one on master and the other one on slave...But you will need a IDE cable with 2 ends it..

11. Muaaz1992

Muaaz1992 Geek Trainee

my cd writer is fine. i connected it on other pc and it worked. but the cd rom is not working with the first ide cable on which master hard is connected.i even tried an another cd rom to connect to this port ide (on which hard is connected) but it is also not working.

12. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

OK! it sounds like that port got fried, If you can get an IDE cable with two ends on it, then you might get it to work..Set the first one up to your CD rom as Master.... Next on the second end, set it to slave and hook it two the hard drive,and Also set the hard drive to slave.. Not sure what else I can tell you..
    If that does not work, then you will need another Mother board / PC...Dells are cheap, let me know.. I will get you a link for another pc if you like..

13. Muaaz1992

Muaaz1992 Geek Trainee

hi. it was helpful. my cd alone is working on the ide port on which hard was connected. but my cable is very short(it has two ens but it is very short) t=hat it can reach the cd rom on uopper part i.e it is for connecting second hard drive. now the question is that i should buy a long ide with two ends on it.should i but a 40 pins or 80 pins( my previous short ide is 80 pins)and also could a single ide cable or port could handle 3 devices i.e first 40gb master hard, thencd writer set to slave and thirdly my other 20gb crashed hard which u were saying u could help to fix it.

14. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

You will need to BUY a longer IDE cable with Two ends on it, Just take everything with you so you get all the right stuff, And NO , I would not hook up a Third device to that port, Unless you won't it to burn out also..

15. Muaaz1992

Muaaz1992 Geek Trainee

thanx dude. you solved my problem. but one last question. i am planning to convert all my storage device like hard and cd writer to sata. so i will need a sata controller . plz suggest some good sata controller or sata adapter(usb to sata) with make and model which will be appropraite for my pc. i have dell optiplex 170L and its 32 bit.

16. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Unless your motherboard has built in Sata/IDE you can't, You will need to buy another Motherboard...You might be able to find an adapted from IDE to sata, But i am not sure..
    You are welcome for the help..

17. Muaaz1992

Muaaz1992 Geek Trainee

my motherboard show the option for sata but there is no place for to put a sata cable. the main board has an option set sata master or something like this. that means it supports sata. And also i visited pc shop where they showed me usb to sata adapter which could connect a hard to sata which is plugged to the usb. but it is placed outside the pc so i dont wanna buy it. so guide me to buy a sata controller for my pc. i read in somewhere that for a 32 bit pc a 64bit sata card(i dont remember the model) would be best. plz guide me for this

18. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Like I said, If your Motherboard Does NOT have SATA plugin, then it will not work.. Also , If you did have a sata connection for your hard drive, then you would need an XP setup disk with built in sata drivers, Allot of sata installations require a floppy drive to install the drivers for that drive.. I would just use it like that for now..Whats wrong with they way it is now ?

19. Muaaz1992

Muaaz1992 Geek Trainee

ok. if it will not work then what do a sata controller do and also if i buy a usb to sata adapter will i be able to connect my sata hard disk to that adapter and make it working?

20. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Dude, Why not just buy a USB external hard drive ???? If it is going to be external anyway...The only problem is on external anything, It can only be used for storage...
    Most external drives WONT boot from USB, Unless it says it will from your bio's...