Change to Linux?

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by shortcake, Dec 8, 2006.

1. shortcake

shortcake Geek Trainee

I got a computer off a friend. Have tweaked around with it but never have had it running much because Windows is not Legal. I dont want it on there if its not legal, so i am not using it until i buy a legal one or sort something else out. :doh: *I do not in anyway condone illegal copies if windows.*

So i have been looking round this site to see if i could find any alternatives before i go out and buy Windows. After all, Bill Gates has far to much money as it is.

I have been looking at Linux and so far i like what i see. I have seen a few videos and had a look at a few of the members websites on it it looks good.

Just wondered which one to go for and how easy is it to install?
    Have seen a few different ones. Mainly Ubuntu and Kubuntu. Whats are the differences?

Would appreciate any help :D
    I am sorry if this is not in the right place. :)

2. Addis

Addis The King

Ubuntu and Kubuntu are under the hood, the same. Kubuntu has the underlying components of Ubuntu, except that it uses the KDE desktop environment (GUI) rather than GNOME, which Ubuntu uses. It's a matter of preference, I personally prefer KDE to GNOME.

Other distributions are Mandriva, PCLinuxOS, Freespire which are all good for new users.

You'll need to download the CD image (.iso) and burn it to a CD using software like Nero etc. If you use K/Ubuntu, you will have to choose which version. Edgy Eft (6.10) is the latest version, with Firefox 2 and some newer packages, while Dapper Drake (6.06) is the older version but is fully supported with updates as its a Long Term Support release. I'm using Kubuntu Edgy on my laptop now, and it seems ok for use.

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

If it's relatively new (P3/Athlon or better), I'd give Kubuntu a try. If it's older than that, try out Xubuntu. The only difference between these operating systems is which desktop environment the use by default; Kubuntu uses KDE by default, and Xubuntu uses Xfce which is lighter. You can always mix & match if you want to try something different (Xfce on Kubuntu, KDE on Xubuntu, etc).

4. shortcake

shortcake Geek Trainee

Its AMD Athlon, just need to check the exact one.

5. Anti-Trend

It doesn't matter, I was just generalizing. As long as that system has 256mb RAM or more, KDE should be just fine. If you want to see how my KDE desktop looks, check the screenshot links in my sig.

6. shortcake

shortcake Geek Trainee

Yeah i have checked them out, thats what persuaded me lol
    Looks really good. :good:

7. Anti-Trend

Hahaha, that's good to hear. Keep in mind that I have things I don't use, like desktop icons, turned off. But KDE is an extremely flexible desktop environment, so you can more or less make it look and act like whatever you want it to.

8. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

[ot] Hey AT welcome back! how was the trip? Any pictures??[/ot]

9. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well personally i choose Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper, it is also now my fav, but you may be happier with
    • Mandriva
    • PCLinuxOS
    • Kubuntu
    any of these linux versions are v good for anyone who's new to linux, going over to linux is not easy, but it's well worth it[ot]for starter, there's no need for a firewall (if you use a router, most routers have a built in hardware firewall) and there's no need for antivirus[/ot]

10. shortcake

shortcake Geek Trainee

Sorry for the questions lol

Ok so i am set on Sorting Linux out on the PC. Alot cheaper than windows :p

How easy do you think it will be? I have two laptops in the house so there is no rush really! Theres nothing that needs backing up as there is minimal stuff on there as it is. I have got the wireless set up for the internet so will i have to set that up again.

Also will have to start looking for drivers :chk:

11. Anti-Trend

See what works 'out of the box' first, as many, many drivers are included with the Linux kernel and may already work with your hardware. Usually you only need to worry about 3D video drivers (NVidia or ATI) and wireless.

12. shortcake

shortcake Geek Trainee

Well i suppose i have nothing to loose :D

Think i will have a go with Kubuntu. If it doesnt work for me then i can try other s!

13. donkey42

donkey42 plank

true

also true, we're here to help[ot]you will find the transition to linux much easier if your using an ethernet router, cos if it worked in Win it'll just work in linux[/ot]i think you've made a good choice in Kubuntu (but i'd go for 6.06 Dapper, it's slightly older but it has more support, cos its being available for a few months longer)

its not easy but after you get past the first 6 months, you'll be hooked on linux for life

14. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

If you are going with Kubuntu then you should probably download version 6.06 a.k.a 'Dapper Drake'. I am using Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft and it's just not as nice as Dapper, even though it has newer packages.

You might also consider openSUSE 10.2 which was just release a few days ago. I am installing it as I type this :)

15. shortcake

shortcake Geek Trainee

Looks like i have a few to consider then :)

Thanks for all the support guys. Really appreciate it.

Will have a read up on all the ones suggested and make a decision!

:good:

16. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

In Kubuntu 6.06 wireless support for my card is superb, the drivers all work (perfectally) out of the box, it even supports the hardware switch on the front of the laptop to turn WiFi on and off. (and it supports the little light indicator for the WiFi - and its various states).

17. shortcake

shortcake Geek Trainee

Thats good to hear.

Hopefully alot of the drivers i need will be supported then. But if not i am sure i can find them.

I am going to download one of the Live CD's and try it first to get the feel of it.

18. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

The Kubuntu 6.06 CD I got boots live from the CD anyway, then to install it there's an icon on the desktop which you click and it takes you through the install process.

19. shortcake

shortcake Geek Trainee

Where can i get my hand on one of them to try?

Any links?

Thanks for the help guys. Really appreciate it! :D

20. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin