Cheapest CPU for server

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by afidelino, Jan 26, 2005.

1. afidelino

afidelino Geek Trainee

Hi guys, my cousin is asking me to build him the cheapest server i can get..
    Im considering Intel Celeron for the processor.....

Does any body have a feedback with this processor, stability wise... And also any suggestion for good CPUs for server....

And also the server is intended to handle just a simple website and some dbase.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Sure. For what you're describing, yeah. On the otherhand, the extra cache on the P4 may help with the DB stuff, and might be worth the little extra cash. The Celeron is Intel's budget processor, featuring a slower FSB and less cache than the Pentiums.

3. afidelino

afidelino Geek Trainee

Tnx for the quick reply Big B.. How about for gaming such as CS:source whats the ideal CPU for that??

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

You *can* use a Celeron, but you're going to find that a P4 or Athlon would serve that purpose much better. CS:Source is coded pretty well, but if you start getting into stuff like Far Cry and D00M 3, besides having a decent video card, you'll want a mainstream CPU to back it up.

5. Addis

Addis The King

If its going to be a general purpose server with a few gaming uses then I'd recommend the P4. Just a server then the Celeron will do.

6. Yuchao719

Yuchao719 Geek

I would choose P4 if I were you. I have a celeron myself, performance not impressive. Pentium 4 has more cache and runs faster

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  7. Addis

Addis The King

However, for the cheapest you can get, a Celeron wold just about do. Having a nippy processor won't do much good if the actual communication lags too much.

8. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Actually cheap servers are very easy to run, maintain and find, as long as you buy a "cheap" good Quality server.. ie good quality parts.

Personally if he wants to play CS:S and use it as a server as well, and by server i take it controlling the internet / firewall / file storage / network DCHP control.. pretty much covers it?

Personally i would have gone for the Celeron for purely a network/net server, however when u mentioned CS:S, you really want to start thinking about the Pentium range instead of the Celeron, however, for that sort of money you'd be better off with an AMD XP Athlon.

Example:
    AMD XP Athlon 2800+ / 3200+
    Abit NFS 2.0 Socket A motherboard / Dual Channel / Onboard sound / SATA e.t.c
    ATI 9700Pro 128MB
    512MB (2x256MB) - i only say 512MB due to CS:S, however if u do not want to run CS:S then 256mb is fine. (DDR PC3200 - preferably GeIL Golden Value Series - best performance for value)

350W or better Antec / ThermalRight / Enermax / Tagan / OCZ PSU
    16x DVDROM / SATA HDD

that would be a very good server.

However, you if CS:S or games are not wanted, a Sempron 2200 or better / geforce 2/ati 7000 would do, with 20gb 7200rpm 2mb cache ATA.. 300W psu..

9. afidelino

afidelino Geek Trainee

tnx guys for the tips... its benn really a big help....Hope next time ill be the on whose helping....cheers!!!!