China to study the affect of space on pig sperm

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Exfoliate, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Somebody has to keep you posted on this stuff...
    "China is planning to study the effects of outer space on sperm by sending the semen from pedigree pigs into orbit.

Some 40 grams of pig sperm will be taken on board the Shenzhou VI spacecraft for its October launch.

Some of the sperm will be kept outside the spacecraft's biological capsule and some inside, according to China's Xinhua news agency.

Surviving sperm will be returned to earth and used to compare the effect of microgravity on the semen.

The pigs chosen are a breed called Rongchang, named after an area in the southwest of the country and famed for their physique and for the quality of their meat.

Agricultural experts hope to use the sperm to fertilise pig eggs back on earth and monitor the effects of the journey to space.

China's first manned space flight two years ago made it the third country able to launch a human into space on its own, along with Russia and the United States.

During the mission two astronauts will orbit the planet five or six times."

From google news

2. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Wow...anti-gravity sex. That would make it real interesting.

Sounds..well, typical of chinese, and so as fascinating as it is bizarre.

3. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

wow ex, you do find THE most interesting articles haha

4. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

yeah I was quite pround of this one:), it's weird to think though, imagine someone asking what you do for a living and having to say you shoot pig sperm up in space:p Hope those pigs turn out okay (when fertilized with the space sperm).

5. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

watch them grow three eyes haha

6. ThePenguinCometh

ThePenguinCometh There is no escape

Cool! I just spent half-an-hour trying to find a suitable "Pigs in Space" link and failed miserably. But I did find out that the Muppet Show Season One is coming out on DVD next month! Thanks Ex.

http://muppets.go.com/main.html

Hmm... just realised I'm probably showing my age here, don't know if any of you kids even know what the Muppet Show is. Check it out anyway, it's great.

7. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Glad I could help, oh yeah those muppets were mighty cool.