Choice

Discussion in 'IT Careers and Certification' started by Swansen, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

So i have something like 6 weeks left to decide wether i'm going to pursue an IT career or go with graphic design. I only know what i've heard and done a little research on IT, plus a couple semesters at ITT Tech, but that doesn't really count. My one real fear is the difficulty of coarses for IT. I know that regardless of what specific branch of IT your going into MATH is a definite for a computer science major. I do like art, drawing, design, that sort of thing, but i'm not sure if i'm creative enough and what not, i have the natural skill for art so i know i can learn a lot and probably have no worries, but i'm not sure if i'll find a job, anwhere, in anything graphic design. The same also goes for IT though, IT is huge rate now, comming down off the .com boom and there is still demand but i think it is starting to get flooded. ok back on track, i could probably get through the math i would just have to kick ass like woah, which i guess is possible but wouldn't be easy, well not really easy at all. I seem to pick up on computer related things quickly, probably because its interesting to me, so i don't think that would be a problem. Yeah i really am kinda leaning towards graphic design rate now, but i think ether way i would have to leave Michigan to get a job as a graphic designer, and most likely for IT. Anyways any advice or info would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post

2. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

dang, nothing, no one has any advice, or experience

3. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Theres quite a big demand for graphic designers. If you are skilled and are willing to put the hours in studying, I can't see why it wouldn't be a success for you. Spend a few hours with Photoshop or the GIMP. Play around and experiment with them and just see if it comes naturally to you.

Whether you should study IT support or graphic design is not really a question I can answer for you. The answer can only come from you. However from a salary purspective, you'd earn a lot more doing IT support.

4. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

yeah, i'm just not sure if i could do IT, but hey thanks for the info on graphic designers, really i didn't know any of that about the demand thanks.

5. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I was thinking of going into graphics, but a few weeks ago I lost all motivation and desire to do it, that's why I gave it up *sniff* hehe.

6. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

That's ashame Matt. I thought you were pretty good with a mouse :)

7. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Hehe thanks, I may give it a go sometime soon again, it was a combination of things which made me give it up. Sometime soon I shall return!

*fade away into the distance*

8. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

lol i like how were all nonchalant about matt not pursuing his career, oh yeah about not being able to do IT, i wasn't really specific, i'm not sure if i could do the schooling, escpecially not rate now.

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

You should weigh your options, but make sure you're doing something you enjoy. What's the point of making $300k if you hate your job. Sure, the money is nice, but if you hate your job, is it really worth it?

10. mut

mut Geek Trainee

Im in my first year of A levels this year, and I too want to pursue either graphic design or IT. I'm not comfortable with maths, it's a weak area for me. Though I'm pretty good with computers and applications.
    I got a D in my Art GCSE haha, because I didn't try at all. This sort of stood in my way a little and the college I'm at doesn't offer a "Graphic Design" course. Didn't want to go into art again which I find incredibly boring, and extremely limiting.

11. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

hmm what do you mean by limiting, that said yeah i understand what yer saying, i'm not that good at math. AAHHH really though man i messing up my basic classes like no other at the moment. i need to get my ass in gear. Can't wait till next semester cause i am going to take some classes towards my major, and things i should be semi intersted in. grr, i need to do homeowork, oh well late night i guess.

12. dumluck

dumluck Geek Trainee

If you can deal with a lot of thankless days and nights, bitching by end users, mangement staffers who think that because they can open up MS Word, they know your business of IT, including unreasonable CIO's and CEO's, then ditch your God-given talent of creativity, forget about Graphics and join us in the wonderful world of IT! ;)
    To be honest, if I had your choices, from my experience(14 years), and if you are a creative person, stick with the Graphics training. The atmosphere in the working world is totally different, much looser. In IT, it is tighter, because downtime is money, whether it is a single computer or a whole network. IT is not an area that can make money for a company(at least in measurable units), but bad or mismanaged IT can certainly cost a company money. IT also has many unseen values that mangers and owners cannot get their hands around. In my opinion, something done creative is visual in Graphics, hence, what you see is what you get. Sorry if it seems like I am ranting, follow your dreams, and good luck!