clear acrylic case

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding and Gallery' started by loaded_chambers, May 10, 2003.

1. loaded_chambers

loaded_chambers Geek Trainee

I have the clear acrylic case and I just bought a pctoys dual cathode light. It came with a switch and it'd be nice to install but I've never modded a case so I'm not sure if it's safe or not. I'm sure someone else has installed the same switch so could anyone give me some advice?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I put a hole in one of the unused bezels in a 3.5" bay or a 5.25" bay if the first option isn't available. All the cathode kits I've run across have had the size of hole required for the switch to fit in.

When doing so, you really don't want to use anything at a high speed, since it can melt the acrylic and make it look really bad. I'd suggest starting the hole with a small drill bit (and just do it with your hand---and yeah, it'll take some efford), and just work your way up. If you don't have a big enough bit for the hole, you may have to scrape it the rest of the way with a utility knife (what I use anyway).

Yeah, drilling it with a drill is faster, but it can melt and leave you with a really shitty-looking hole. You can be a little more casual with a normal plastic face, but with a clear case, it's gonna be seen, so just be careful.