compaq deskpro ep/p500 bois/disk controler issues?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by jebaird, Nov 22, 2005.

1. jebaird

jebaird Geek Trainee

this compaq is a pIII I think that the disk controler/bios is messed up. when ever i connect a cd-rom drive to it, it will boot up, it dos'nt matter witch port I put it in. but when i put a hd in, somtimes i will get a dirve failure error or a disk controer error. but the dire will still show up in the bios settings. sometimes it will not show up at all. keep in mind that the cdrom drive always shows up.

in both of these cases i have run the first part of a windows 2k install and a redhat 9 install. but when
    the computer reboots it can't find the hard drive.

I did a burn in test on the motherboard on most of the buses, they all checked out all right. this
    makes me wonder what is really going on:spin2: . I have mounted the hd in knoppix live cd. and i have formated and partioned the drive many times. I have tried 3 different hds from 3 different systems
    they were working when I pulled them.

I have thought about flashing the bios. but hp dose not have the exact model number(ep/p500) they have (ep/p550) I realy dont want to chance a wrong flash versoin and swrew my self.

so, what i am asking is has any one herd of such a thing and know of a way to fix it or know where i could get the right flash version( the version is 686T2)/or coming to a yes it works or no it broken type answer?

thanks in advance