Compaq Presario 5000 motherboard

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by irshad, Oct 7, 2003.

1. irshad

irshad Geek Trainee

I have a Compaq Presario 5000 computer. I don't know its model number. Its not given anywhere. Is there some way ( software ) by which I can find out the model number and the BIOS version. How do I check if I have an ATX PSU.

--------------------------

Compaq Presario 5000
    P III 1GHz
    192 MB RAM
    compaq DVD drive
    Iomega 52x CD-RW drive
    20 GB Quantum Fireball Harddisk

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

While it should be an ATX motherboard, the easiest way to tell is if the power connector on the motherboard (it's going to be a big thick cable that goes into a while block) has 20-pins as a single connector. AT power supplies have 2 6-pin power connectors and an on/off switch that must be routed to the front of the case.

The BIOS version is typically displayed at the bottom of the screen during POST (at the beginning of the system starting up), but with your system being a Compaq, you're probably only seeing a screen with Compaq written over it. A nice free, diagnostic package is SiSoft Sandra. This has a nice set of benchmarks and utilities that'll give you the info you need to know.http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.html?dir=dload&location=sware_dl_x86&langx=en&a=
    That is the a page with download links to the lastest version of Sandra. Download it, unzip the file if necessary and run the setup.exe or install.exe. It'll probbly ask you if you want to run it or not after the install completes...your choice. Anyway, run it, and there'll be an icon that'll say something about the BIOS version (and some other stuff). Since I haven't checked out Sandra 2004 yet, I can't give the specifics, but that should give you answers you want to know.