Computer constantly restarting

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Will5592, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Will5592

Will5592 Geek Trainee

So my issue -

My desktop PC turns on for 10 seconds, then off for 4/5 seconds, then on, then off and just repeats this cycle continuously.

A similar thing happened to me last year which turned out to be a broken power supply, which I replaced with a corsair tx850 (my current PSU).

Thinking this could be the issue, I took it to a PC repair guy who plugged my PSU into a small blue box that told him if power was being produced. It was producing power as normal, however the fan wasn't running (which I later found it is normal for my PSU). There is also some white glue/paste inside the PSU, not sure if this should be there. Also, it makes a very faint buzzing noise when powered on.

I have tried powering on my PC with just the mobo, processor and ram components plugged in. When I use only the 24pin plug, it seems to turn on and stay on, whereas when I introduce the 8pin plug (this goes into the mobo, next to the CPU), it starts turning on and off again.

I am not particularly knowledgable about PC hardware issues, and whilst I did build it myself, I have a pretty patchy knowledge of issues.

If anyone knows what it is/has an idea or clue then your advice would be fantastic.

Thanks!

2. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

Even new PSU's can be faulty. We need to know other parts also.

Probably some sort of problem in motherboard and PSU shuts down itself to prevent more damage.

3. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Try another psu, Or try that psu into another computer.. The plugin next to the CPU is 4 plug and not 8 ...

4. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

EPS12V connector is 8-pin. +12V ATX connector is 4-pin.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Might be a CPU overheating protection mechanism that's working too, but it's hard to say. Specs will be very useful to help figure out this problem.

6. telliegirl25

telliegirl25 Geek Trainee

It also happened to my pc for days. It happened right after the time I overcharged my battery. I don't think it's normal but it eventually went okay after few days.