computer shut down during dial-up?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Egaladeist, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Egaladeist

Egaladeist I am the Eg Man

Is this a normal occurance?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

No it's not.

3. Egaladeist

I was in the arcade playing a game...and...as usual...I got interrupted by a phone call...which asks me if i want to take the call ( on dial-up on same line )...so...i take the call...when i dialed to get back on the internet...computer shut down and restarted itself...first time it's done this...i figure it's probably " primus' " ( my internet provider )computer that did it to me...but i thought i'd ask you guys about it...see what you think!
    :good:

another call just came through..took it...back on internet...didn't happen this time!

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

My guess is that you're running Windows XP, and that you're actually doing what was traditionally called "Blue-Screening", which is a nice way of saying crashing hard. However, in XP, you no longer see the dreaded blue screen of death, the system simply reboots without warning. For this reason, it's difficult to isolate hardware problems from software in XP. Thanks, Microsoft! :rolleyes: So, I think you either have a bad modem, bad/corrupted modem drivers, or perhaps an IRQ conflict.

5. Egaladeist

Anti-Trend...i'm running windows 2000 pro...everything seems to be fine now...don't know what an IRQ is...if it's the modem..how do i check it?

6. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Since you're running 2000 Pro, I'm betting on a bad modem. That would explain the crazy reboots... but you should check for an IRQ problem just to be sure.

Start --> Control Panel --> System --> Hardware

...or something like that. I don't run Windows! :p Then right-click on your modem, and choose the "resources" tab (or whatever it's called). That should tell you if there's any IRQ/DMA conflicts. If there aren't any, you should try updating to the latest version of the modem drivers from the manufacturer's website. If that still does not fix your problems, you should probably replace your modem.

7. Egaladeist

I checked the system info under " conflicts/sharing "...results:

IRQ Number
    9.....Microsoft ACPI Compliant System
    9.....SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Cont...
    9.....ESS ES56H-PI Data Fax Voice Modem
    9.....ESS Solo 1 PCIAudio Drive ( WDM )
    9.....Acer LAN ALN-325 10/100 Base-PX F...

but it doesn't specify if there's a conflict or sharing just that there may be a problem if it is in this section..when I looked in "help" for an explanation.

what's sharing? Conflict...for the most part is self explanatory.

Checked out DMA...says under status of both " OK "
    IRQ section does not have a status column

Every other hardware resource category has a status column and all say " OK " across the board

suggestions? I hope I've given you enough info...if not...I'll go back and get what you need!

this has never happened before...and when i tried to dial up...i didn't get the usual dial noise...i knew there was something wrong when it sounded weird...it all took about 2 seconds from dial to reboot...seems fine since. I tried to get back online immediately after it was up and I had no problem.

also...when i check out my system i find i have alot of " shared " items...whatever " shared " means.

and there's always a faint image on my monitor that says " Windows NT Workstation ".