Computer turns off after splash screen for mobo

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by MarcTheBored, Feb 20, 2007.

1. MarcTheBored

MarcTheBored Geek Trainee

Hey all,

I just bought myself a new computer and have put it together. I had a few issues here and there but now all of the error messages are gone and it seems that at least everything is connected properly.

Having not installed Windows yet, I enter the BIOS when the computer loads. That's where the problem is; it detects my keyboard and mouse, my hard drive and optical drive, and then promptly shuts down.

Here is the system:
    E6300 Core 2 Duo @ 1.86
    Asus P5LD2
    1 GB PC-5400 Kingston RAM
    XFX 7950 GT 512 MB
    120 GB Maxtor IDE
    Samsung DVD-RW IDE
    54 Mbps Wi-FI Card

I've listed all of the components because I think it's my PSU that isn't giving me enough juice; it's a generic 480W, with a rating of 20A on the 12V rails. The case is nothing fancy and has one 4-molex connector for the power button/light. I've had to use an adapter to turn 2 4-molex connectors into one 2X3 for the video card and I'm also using a Y splitter for another 4-molex connector due to lack of connectors originating in the PSU.

So, my question is, is it my PSU that's inadequate? Or should I be looking elsewhere? Note that it won't actually let me get to the BIOS, it always shuts down before (I get past the splash screen for the motherboard).

Thanks in advance,

Marc

2. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Read [link=http://www.hardwareforums.com/power-supply-sticky-5218/]this thread[/link]....
    Even if your PSU is capable of booting up ur PC you should change it because you might end up damaging more things with that for eg.. Your Mobo....

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The minimum amperage is listed at 22A on the 12V...that's the minimum. I'd recommend at least 25A, if not 30-35A, just for added headroom.

Additionally, make sure the CPU cooler is securely installed, as the BIOS will shut the motherboard down if it detects the temps getting out of hand.