Computer unable to turn on sometimes

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by kôrovec2, May 16, 2013.

1. kôrovec2

kôrovec2 Geek Trainee

Hello,
    I have been looking for a problem similar to mine, but everything I found was not my case. When I try to turn on my computer it does not respond. The only thing it does is that the green light under my power button flashes for half a second. After the flash, I can press the button as many times I want, the computer does absolutely nothing (not even the light blinks). The network cable connector light is working normally and to return to the state when the green light flashes, I have to reconnect the cable to power supply. The strange thing, however, is that after a few attempts (yesterday, I could not turn the computer on at all, so it is not that easy - I had to reconnect the cable every attempt), the PC turns on and works properly. It does not turn off randomly, nothing seems wrong. I can even hibernate it, it turns on without any difficulty.

I thought it could be the switch, since the only problem is to start, but I use the button when I'm "waking" the computer from hibernation. I also thought about the PSU, but why does it work so fluently when it is on? I hope it has nothing to do with the motherboard, please help me :)

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Yea ! this can be a number of things...PSU would be my first thing to look at.. Also the Bio's battery.. A faulty ram stick, or the Motherboard..
    check or replace the power supply first.

3. kôrovec2

kôrovec2 Geek Trainee

Well, I have another PSU from my older computer (hope it'll be sufficient enough) so I will probably try that tonight. I didn't hear anything about the BIOS battery, glad that you mentioned that :)

4. kôrovec2

kôrovec2 Geek Trainee

Hello,
    so I replaced the PSU yesterday and it works fine now, thanks for help :)

5. Good post!. I think your computer unable to turn on sometimes.Here I am going to discuss the some step by which you can get the solution.Right click my computer and select properties then go to hardware device and click on device manager then select the network adapters tab.select marvell yukon and click on PCI-fast ethernet controller.The right click on properties then select power management and deselect allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.Go to advanced tab put value off for wake from shut down then value none for wake up capabilities and last press ok.