Computer will not turn ON

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by FriendlyDave19, Sep 7, 2006.

1. FriendlyDave19

FriendlyDave19 Geek Trainee

I have an unusual problem, which I hope I can get some help on?

First my computer specs

Case: Thermaltake Kandalf
    PSU: Thermaltake Purepower 680W
    Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 4400
    Memory: 2 x 1GB DDR 400 (Crucial)
    Graphics: ASUS 7800GTX 256MB
    Hard drives: 1 x WD 250 GB SATA II + 1 x WD 160GB IDE
    Optical drives: 1 x Plextor DVD Writer + 1 x Plextor DVD combo
    Sound: Creative Audigy ZS + Creative 7 speaker set up

History

I purchased and built this computer back in november 2005, and from building the computer I have had no problems, and use the computer almost every day to play games like doom 3, half- life 2, prey, NFS etc etc at high quality graphics settings, as well as doing the boring jobs of household accounts, letter writing, emails etc. The computer has been perfect and played all games very fast with no crashing issues etc.

Problem

I went away for a week (holiday) and on return, found that the computer will not turn on. When the power switch on the case is pressed nothing happens - Nothing meaning, no case fans, no case lights, no CPU fan, no graphics fan - nothing.

P.S. I noticed that the house had suffered from a power cut whilst away, due to having to go around a re-set all the clocks etc!!

I swapped the power lead from the back of the case (PSU) for the monitor one, but still the same!!

I then opened the case and checked the power switch leads from the case to the motherboard but everything OK, then checked the PSU connections to motherboard, but again all OK, and the green LED on the motherboard was ON, indicating power (some) was being recieved from the PSU.

Whilst checking out the PSU, I had disconnected the power cord and turned the PSU switch off, and then after reconnecting everything, I pressed the power button on the front case, and the computer turned ON and booted up with no problems at all!! Mystery.

I then shut down windows (XP Pro), and went to turn ON again and nothing!! Back to square one? I then disconnected and re-connected the power cord to the back of the case (PSU) and after a couple of attempts of doing this, the power switch on the case turned the computer on!

I have now worked out a routine, that if I remove the plug from the 4 way (surge protected) strip adapter and then reconnect, the power switch on the front case will turn the computer ON everytime - first go as normal(so far)!!

I suspect that the power cut may have caused damage to either the PSU or motherboard (even though I hoped the surge protected strip adapter) should have protected me from damage!!

I am requesting help from any member who may have experianced this problem before (with hopefully, an answer on fixing the fault), or a member who may have information on how to prove which component (PSU or motherboard) is at fault.

Like many people, I do not have a spare PSU or motherboard to swop to prove the problem?

I have already emailed both ThermalTake & ASUS supplying the above details, but at present (after 5 days) I still have not received any replies?

Can any one help?

Sorry for the long post, but I hope I have supplied all the information required, to obtain assitance.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Dave

2. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

No expert here but it does sound to me like a bad PSU.
    I do not think that it is the mobo as I do not think that you will be able to start and run properly with a faulty mobo. not for long anyway.

Power surges can kill PSU's (and indeed other components) and the 4 gang surge protector offers very small protection from power surges. They can say what they like but the only proper protection is from UPS units which provide the computer with power which is not directly connected to the mains.
    If the UPS fries, your PC will not 'know' about it.

Again check that all components are sitted properly in their slots and are making good contact. Look carefuly at the mobo (also from behind) for any burning signs like blue'ish blows around the power entrance to the mobo.
    When my mobo fried (because of a bad PSU) that is exactly what I saw.

IMO you have three options:
    1. Buy a replacement - hurts but will provide you with reliable power.
    2. Take the PSU to a shop to be tested (might cost a bit)
    3. Buy a tester and test it yourself (will cost less but do you know what to look for?)

Here is a little tip - all electrical appliances are sensative to power surges.
    If you are away or live in an area notorious for power surges, disconnect everything which is dear to you before you go away....

Hope this helps in some way.

Good luck....

3. FriendlyDave19

FriendlyDave19 Geek Trainee

Thank you for your reply to my cry for help - I have checked the motherboard for signs of burning etc, but as you say & I agree, when I can get the computer to turn on, I have run a full set of tests, and played hard on my games for up to 6 hours with no ill affects!

Therefore I tend to agree that it will be the PSU at fault, I have sent another email to Thermaltake, and see if they will supply me an RMA to return the PSU under warrenty for replacement / repair.

Thank you again for your help and advice

Dave