Computer won't boot, fan on full blast - Recently removed RAM drives

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by fstephane, Jul 15, 2013.

1. fstephane

fstephane Geek Trainee

My boss's computer (emachine model:W3503) has been doing weird things lately, like reverting to a restore point when he restarts or running slowly. He suspected this might have something to do with his RAM drive and asked me to swap drives with an identical computer to see if it would run more smoothly in the new machine.

When I tried putting the RAM drives in the new machine, it beeped a few times, the fan started going full blast and the computer wouldn't start up (the drive LED was a solid amber). I tried putting the drives back in my boss's computer and they worked fine. I tried the process again only to have the same thing happen. When I put the drives back into my boss's computer the second time, his computer didn't beep, but the fan stayed on full blast, the drive light was a solid amber and the machine wouldn't start.

The other computer (not my boss's computer) is now working fine with its old drives, but I can't get my boss's computer to start at all. I've checked the drives about a million times trying to see if they weren't replaced properly, etc. I even tried swapping the positions of the two drives in my boss's computer.

I tried booting the my boss's computer without the drives just to see what would happen. The fan goes full speed and the computer doesn't start like usual, but it also beeps like the secondary computer did when I tried to install my boss's hard drives. I have no idea what the problem could be. Help!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

What do you mean ram drive ?? You mean memory sticks and slots? Are both of these PCs eMachines ? sounds like the ram sticks are different..Did you check the computer for a Virus?