confused by readings

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by zeus, Jul 1, 2006.

1. zeus

zeus out of date

I was having a play with speedfan (motherboard monitor) the other day noticed my -12v reading was -0.97v. My -5v is -2.04v. The computer has been setup like this for years so I wasnt too bothered, although it is not what I expect! I expect -12 and -5v !!

Can the -12v and -5v go down if the PSU is under heavy load?

Ive checked speedfan on another computer and it is taking similar readings on that one too. So I tried MBProbe and this gives normal readings on "this" computer but the same as speedfan on "my" computer. Ignoring an issue with MathCAD which took a good few months to identify my computer has been solid as a rock. Surely id have problems if these were the proper readings?

2. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

if ur comp is stable, then dont worry too much bout it. software gives inaccurate readings and most times the mobo doesnt report it rite either. try to test it with a multimeter

3. zeus

zeus out of date

Many thanks for the reply.
    I'll dig out the multimeter and give it a whirl.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I don't think the negative values are as important as the positive values. Very few devices require negative values, and not all motherboards have readings for the negatives. And, yes, a multimeter generally trumps the motherboard readings (unless you have a really crappy MM)