Confusion over software bundle.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by papa m, Dec 29, 2006.

1. papa m

papa m Geek Trainee

Hi guys,

I am looking at buying a bundle pakage which includes a Seagate ST3120814A 120GB 7200RPM ATA/133 Hard Drive and an Microsoft OEM Windows XP Pro SP2B (Includes Vista Upgrade Coupon) - 1PK.

I'm fairly sure the HDD is good, but it's the windows OS that's confusing me.

The description of the OS bundle is as follows;

Could someone explain what this is? It seems a little to good to be true. Does the upgrade to Vista have a catch?

Thanks.

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

yeah, it's Windows[ot]Linux is much better than Win[/ot]

Edit: LOL

Edit: yeah, Seagate drives were the most reliable, but with seagate taking over maxtor earlier this year, seagate are now producing maxtors drives, so, both seagate & maxtor drives are now my number 1

3. over7x

over7x Geek Trainee

Windows is better than Linux anyway.

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

why Linux is better than Win:
    • no need for a firewall
    • no need for antivirus
    • no need for anti spyware
    • separate window manager
    • Linux is FREE
    [ot]just a few reasons that coome to my mind[/ot]

BTW: Win is easier than Linux to use, and there are so many flavours of Linux to try

5. papa m

papa m Geek Trainee

Guys

Your email tennis is fascinating but not enlightening, would you consider the package a sensible first buy or not

6. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

The descriptoin of that software bundle in plain english: If you buy the HDD, you'll receive a disc of Windows XP. If Windows Vista is released in the end of january, you can exchange the included coupon with a free version of Vista Home Basic at any regular computer store.
    EDIT: That version of Vista is completely free, but is only an upgrade version. You can't use that to boot from it and format your hard drive. However Vista Home Basic is a very simple version. You can read more about the different versions on Windows Vista: Editions