Connecting MP3 player and Camera to Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by rjcube, Jun 6, 2006.

1. rjcube

rjcube Geek Trainee

I want to get my MP3 Player and Camera connected to Ubuntu, yet when I plug them in the USB ports, nothing happens. At this time I check Device manager and such, but still nothing there. I am sure that my USB ports work, I have used them for other things. Below are the model numbers:

MP3 Player: Phillips HDD1630/17 (GoGear 6GB)

Digital Camera: Sony DSC-S600 (Cybershot)

If anyone has any idea how I can get these devices connected and functioning, please let me know.

Thanks.

2. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Try this thread

The program 'Digicam' might partially solve your problem

3. rjcube

rjcube Geek Trainee

Took me a while to find that program, they were mispelling it for most of the thread...its actually digiKam

I have that installed and i will see if it works tomarrow. (the camera is my sisters and its in her room right now)

Also, I decided to try it out and see what happens when I tried installind drivers from the CD's in wine, just to try it. The camera one opened, but if i clicked install it did nothing, and the MP3 one didnt do anything at all.

One last thing, would emulating windows in VMware Player help me at all? maybe that way it could maybe detect the MP3?

4. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

WINE is no good for drivers. What you need is NdisWrapper. It will enable you to use Windows drivers in Linux.

I've never used NdisWrapper so I know little about it. But I've heard it works pretty well.

5. Addis

Addis The King

ndiswrapper is only designed for network card drivers, so I'm not sure how much success you would have with it.