Convert Dell Precision 220 Case to ATX

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding and Gallery' started by Atom, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Atom

Atom Geek

I was advised against this somewhere else, but I thought I'd ask in case someone here has done it. Anyway, I have a fairly old Precision 220 that it still works as good as ever, but it is no longer adequate for the task for which I purchased it. I would do a rebuild using the case, but with everything else including the power supply new. Anyone here have any thoughts about this?

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Dell is known for having non-standard Power Supplies. Using it in conjunction with a non-Dell motherboard could damage your hardware.

3. Atom

Atom Geek

I was planning on replacing the power supply also, which I realize would be problematic. In it's current configuration, this box is too noisy and I think the cabling on the Dell PS is all wrong. In the meantime I've discovered that another case I have is ATX/MATX. This was from an even older computer which I built from parts. I think I will try to work with it.

4. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

The one in my picture is a Dell, but I had to do some modding to get it to work right.
    you just have to use all Dell parts.

5. Atom

Atom Geek

Thanks for check'in in, but my Dell case has already gone to the dumpster. I've pretty much decided that the next computer I build will not have a case at so I'll never to worry about that problem any more.

tom