core i7 idle temp check

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by AlTheFleeb, May 13, 2011.

1. AlTheFleeb

AlTheFleeb Geek Trainee

Hi there!

I have just built a new pc with a core i7 950, 3.06g processor, I'm averaging temperatures while idle in the low 30s, sometimes edging up to 35/6, and when I tested with prime95 earlier my peak temp was in the mid to high 60s.

I have a Scythe Katana III heatsink, and Arctic Silver 5 TIM.

Are these temperatures OK? What temperatures are the danger zone for this chip? (70's/80's?)

Also what is the deal with the "burn in" time on the paste - does this mean I should try and avoid full cpu load for the 200 hours or just use as normal but make sure I turn if off every now and then?

Thanks!! :)

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

These temps look fine. As long as the load temperature is lower than 80C (100 is maximum allowed), there won't be an issue. The system will automatically turn itself off when the temperature is too high.

Concerning the thermal paste, you could put full load on the CPU almost immediately.

3. AlTheFleeb

AlTheFleeb Geek Trainee

Thanks dude totally put my mind at rest now!! So I should set my alarms to go off at 80 then? I currently have auto-shutdown enabled in coretemp - do you think that's sensible?

4. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

Those temps are pretty average, nothing to worry about :) setting the alarm at those temps should be fine.