Correctly setting System Memory Multiplier when overclocking Intel E8400 with 1333Mhz ram?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Inastate, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Inastate

Inastate Geek Trainee

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R
    CPU: Intel E8400
    Ram: Corsair XMS3 8gb DDR3 1333MHz

Ello everybody,

In the past I have overclocked this system from 3 MHz (default), upto 3.6 MHz. However, although I have recently been running at default settings, I have also today upgraded my ram from 2GB 800 MHz DDR2, to 8GB 1333MHz DDR3.

With this in mind, I figured I might as well squeeze some extra juice out the processor and give my system a minor upgrade.

So once again I repeated the steps

To do this I:
    Disabled EIST
    Disabled C1E
    Enable CPU Host Clock Control
    Set CPU Host Frequency to 400 MHz
    Set PCI Express Frequency 100 MHz
    Changed System Memory Multiplier (SPD) to 2

Now that I have 1333 MHz RAM, does that mean that I have to alter the System Memory Multiplier (or any other settings) in any other kind of way? When you highlight the area in which you change the System Memory Multiplier, it gives a number of options which appear to be related to RAM types. It says:

+ -> 800 Strapping
    # -> 1333 Strapping
    ~ -> 1600 Strapping

When you go to alter the settings, it gives a range of numbers, and some of them have the aforementioned symbols next to them. ~ (1600) is next to the number 4, and #(1333) is also next to number 4.

So can somebody please explain to me if this means I should set my Memory multiplier and if so, to which value (3.33 is offered as a value, which would set my memory multiplier to 1332, which is only 1 value below 1333 - maybe this?)

. Are there any other options that I will have to change to accomodate my new memory? Or would leaving this at "auto" have the same effect?

Thanks a lot.