Could this be a power supply or motherboard problem?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by mobb1202, Apr 29, 2009.

1. mobb1202

mobb1202 Geek Trainee

I recently picked up a computer for a friend who said it wouln't boot. Its an HP desktop with Windows XP its about 6 years old I believe. When I got it hooked it up it would turn on but would not boot to desktop. Long story short did a system restore and unhooked the computer. Like 2 weeks later I take it back to my friend hook everything up and I have a problem. No power to any usb ports, p2 connectors, and no power to the monitor. The light on the monitor will turn green when you turn the computer on and then the light will turn yellow like the computer was on standby. The only device that im getting to work is the dvd drive it will open and close. So i don't know if the system is booting up or not. The computer will turn on and the fan on the mother board will turn on.

2. BSUDude

BSUDude Geek Trainee

correct if I am wrong, but when you press the power button to turn it on it looks like your computer is booting up (leds flashing, network lights blinking on the nic, etc.) is just that you can never see anything?

If that is the case then this sounds more like a video problem than anything else. At any point at all during POST do you see anything on the screen? A logo or any text at all? If not, then do you have another video card that you can try to put in the system to test it? if you do not have another video card then do you have another pc where you can test this video card?

3. mobb1202

mobb1202 Geek Trainee

I don't have another video card to test. But what about the usb ports and p2 connectors without any power.

4. BSUDude

BSUDude Geek Trainee

what do you have connected to the USB ports?
    I am assuming that your keyboard lights are not turning on at all when you initially power on the machine, is this the case?

5. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

Hi, the bios will not post, it's could be numberous problems, such as motherboard, cpu, ram, graphics card and psu. I would first suggest a rest cmos, if no luck with that reseat cpu. also try one module of ram at a time in each dimm or if you a new stick of ram try that. If no luck with that, re-seat graphics card, if that don't work if you got a spare graphics card laying around try that. last thing to try is another psu. If no luck with that it's motherboard issues, could be a faulty bios or could be failed controllers on the chipsets such as memory controller, gpu controller, Dedicated bus controller, system bus controller if any of them are faulty it will never post because they are the main controllers of the system.