Country Flags

Discussion in 'HWF Info & Issues' started by Impotence, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

hey all,

I was thinking it would be nice if the flags showing which country your from where in linked to a map / google maps showing where the country is in the world (My Geography isnt very good, so im sometimes left wondering "where is that?").

Impy

2. Chelski

Chelski Geek Trainee

Wow does sound like quite a good idea to me, it should also direct you to a link about the country aswell, tell people what its like...

3. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

n I think Wikipedia is the website where we can get all the information about map, location nd people of any particular country.....So link it with Wikipedia....(How does dat sound?)
    Anyways, I like the idea as well...

4. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

It's a great idea and I'm all for it but that'd be a whole lot of work for Sniper, B, and AT to link every single flag to it's own wiki and map.

5. Chelski

Chelski Geek Trainee

Suppose it does sounds quite tasky but let us know.

6. Karanislove

true....but most of the things on wikipedia are straight forward....For example, if you want to see about India then the link will be
    For England
    So basically they are just changing the last word but hey, it still increases the work for them...... so its upto them, if they get some free time nd lyk this idea then....

7. Karanislove

fcuk, they are changing in quotes as well...............just take ur cursor on the link to see it at the bottom of the browser how it looks like

8. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

:D

Now all we have to do is wait for this thread to be noticed....

I Like the Wikipedia idea, as Karanislove said it has everything you would want to know about a country

karanislove, untick "automatically Retrieve titles from external links" under the Post box

9. Karanislove

So like "My Computer" nd "My Mood", there will be a drop down box with two options....
    1. Other people from this country on HWF
    2. Country Information from Wiki....

u can put some more options as well but these two I can think of at the moment.

10. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

yeah there is a good point in there, it think it would be difficult to have a link for every flag in every post all the time. On that this way it forces people to try and be cultured and be like hey whats that flag and find it, or hey i know that flag and search up on it. Even then i would be really cool, but how would anyone know the flag is a link. Feel free to disprove anything i said, i won't be offended.

11. Karanislove

12. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

Is it possible? Yes. Can it be done at the moment? Afraid not. As I am very busy with uni work.

It would require some work as the names would have to match with the ones from wiki. if someone wants, they can make it for us :) which would make things easier for me.

All we need is the names as they are at wiki, so links can work.

13. Karanislove

14. Karanislove

[ot]Y there is so much big space in my signatures area? I've even checked that there are no extra space bars pressed....:confused:, i think may b my signauture place is used to of that much space so doesnt wanna come to natural..:p[/ot]

15. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I've removed the space. Nice one Karanislove! Now, I just need some spare time to work on the site.

16. Karanislove

:good: thx!