CPU Cooler Installation

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Atom, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Atom

Atom Geek

I have just installed the CPU and cooler on a new motherboard. It's an Intel E5200 with stock cooler. I have done this several times before, and it never seems to go according to the book. I've also watched internet videos and read all directions over and over and I still cannot seem to do it smoothly. I'd like to now if anyone else is having the same problems or is it just me.

It's a very simple proceedure. You just set the cooler on the CPU making sure that the pins are in the correct rotation and all lined up with the holes. The you press down on diagonally opposed pins until you get the click; repeat on the other two and you're done. However, about half the time I don't seem to get any click or at least one I can easily detect. This time I pressed firmly, trying to get good attachment because I had one come loose once, and when it was attached I looked at the mobo and could see that it was slightly bent. Some people think this is not a problem, but it doesn't seem right to me.

How do you do this and avoid the problems I'm having? I would also like opinions on attaching the cooler while the mobo is not attached to the chassis, but instead lying on a flat surface (with appropriately located holes for the pins).

Are there other styles of coolers that have different attachment mechanism or do they all use the locking pins?

Thanks for your help.

2. Fort384

Fort384 Geek Trainee

I like to put the cooler on before I install the mobo into the chasis. This way you can look at the bottom of the mobo and be sure all 4 pegs made it through the holes and are securely installed. It is always a PITA... probably the hardest part of a build. It seems like a fine line between firmly installing the cooler, and worrying about accidentally cracking the mobo from too much force.