CPU/GPU/Case Cooling & PSU

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Tasaio, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Tasaio

Tasaio Geek Trainee

Hi all,

I'm having a little issue with my PC. I bought it recently from a good friend - it's an overclocked system with the following specifications :-

AMD Athlon 7850 Dual Core - OC to 3.10GHz
    4GB Ungaged RAM running at 800MHz
    AMD Radeon HD 6670 1024 GDDR5 800MHZ Core/1000MHz Memory
    Gigabyte M720-US3

Now the original system came with a 450W PSU that popped after about four months, so I had to go with an old backup 400W PSU originally ripped from an aged Pentium 4 system.

My issue is that I'm getting what I think are high temps in my case, when running under load. A similar thing happened prior to my older PSU giving up the ghost. Using Open Hardware Monitor, my system temps are as follows :-

CPU - 45-60/70c (under load)
    GPU - 44-80/90 (under load)
    CORE Temps (ITE 8720F) - #1 33, #2 61, #3 65

Now, my first thought is perhaps that my PSU is simply overloaded by a newer, overclocked dual core system. My second is that perhaps the thermal paste on my GPU should be replaced. The CPU temps look ok, but the GPU runs a little warm, and the PSU itself will run really quite hot making the case warmer to the touch than it should be.

Any ideas on what I can do? Should I just bite the bullet and buy myself a newer, more efficient PSU?

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

-Tas

2. Tasaio

Tasaio Geek Trainee

Just in case it helps :

[​IMG]

3. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

It sounds like you power supply is too low and not enough watts. you should have at least 500 to 600 watts... Plus, make sure you buy a brand name PSU with a rating of 80 % at least..

4. Tasaio

Tasaio Geek Trainee

Can anyone tell me what the "Temperature #2" and "Temperature #3" in the pic above are monitoring? They're under my Gigabyte M720-US3 readings at the top. Both sit around 60 idle, and can hit around 80 under load, and I have no idea what they are.

And Ghostman, thanks, Have ordered a Corsair 500W 80 Plus to try and solve the issue...

5. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Good, Corsair is a good Brand and PSU... That's what I use..

Tasaio likes this.
  6. Tasaio

Tasaio Geek Trainee

Arrived today, installed fine. Also jury rigged an old CPU fan to act as an intake fan on the front of my case. With the Corsair 120mm fan, I now have two 120mm extracts at the top/back, one intake at the front and an Antec Case feature that has a funnel to the outside of the case over the CPU fan to directly supply ambient air.

Results? My processor is idling at 20c, my overall case temp has dropped, my mainboard temperatures have dropped 20c and my GPU is running about the same (40/45 idle, toward 60/70/80 under varying load).

So, definite improvement. No more crashes. Think I'll look into re-applying some good thermal paste to the GPU and perhaps varying the fan speed up a notch, as it rarely rouses itself to spin beyond default of 39%..