CPU Socket

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by LoneStar, Aug 4, 2006.

1. LoneStar

LoneStar Geek Trainee

Can I tell what socket my CPU is without taking it out?? I have a Celeron 2.8Ghz and I want a better processor, I need to know the socket but I dont want to have to take the cpu out.

Thanks in advance.

2. LoneStar

LoneStar Geek Trainee

Nevermind, did some research and found out it is a 478. Also here is a picture of my mobo, you can see where the AGP slot is supposed to be, but isn't. They were made like that, its an MSI mobo. Do you think there is a way to put a slot on there?

Attached Files:

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Sure you could, but you'd need to solder it in by hand along with any resistors, capacitors, or other surface-mounted parts that go along with it. It can be done, it's just not practical.

4. vol7ron

vol7ron Guest

If you know what you're doing, like Big B said, you can build a whole new board. But no, there are no after-market parts/instructions to accomplish what you're trying to do. That I know of. In addition to transistors/resistors/capacitors and the agp module, it will probably need an agp controller as well. It would be cheaper to buy a whole new motherboard - MSI is a crap brand anyhow.

Furthermore, programs like CPU-Z will tell you what processor/mobo/memory you're running. As well as socket type and speeds, etc.

5. LoneStar

LoneStar Geek Trainee

Thanks for your help guys. Do you have a link to were I can get CPU-Z?

6. vol7ron

vol7ron Guest