Cpu

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by SteveLaw58, Jun 24, 2003.

1. SteveLaw58

SteveLaw58 Geek Trainee

Does anyone know how to fix the following problem and what has caused it?

After upgrading a computer, I cannot get the processor to work properly. It is a 2.2AMD Athlon, but I can only get it to work as a 1.5. If I use it as a 2.2 then the computer will crash.

Please help me. Thanks.

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

you need to have a more powerful fan, cuz I think its overheating thats what is causing the crashing of the system! someone here will let you know what to look for! cuz I'm not updated on the fans. sorry :)

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Check your temps. You may need to scrape off and reapply some thermal paste if you didn't or did a poor job. If you had a thermal pad on, you'll want to scrape the remaining stuff off, clean off the CPU core (nail polish remover is supposed to work well here---I don't use it, I just use my finger, which isn't the best thing to do) and then reapply a thin coat of thermal paste on it.
    I'd buy some arctic silver, or if that's not available, some Antec Premium Silver thermal paste---and this should be available at Best Buy or maybe Circuit City. Don't get the crap from Radio Shack---it's like putting toothpaste on the CPU.
    If that doesn't fix it, you may have to look into a better CPU cooler.

4. SteveLaw58

SteveLaw58 Geek Trainee

Figured the problem out now. The jumpers were set wrong on the motherboard, changed them and now the CPU works to its full speed. Thanks for your suggestions guys!

5. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

:) glad you did!, I think your question was a bit unclear, if it was a jumper problem :)