crazy dvd-rom issues.....HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by DJz, May 13, 2002.

1. DJz

DJz Guest

Yesterday, i tried to do a CD-COPY on a VCD, w/ the VCD in the DVD-ROM drive and a blank CD in the CD-RW. I've gone through this process several times before. During the CD-Read, the Computer Hung at 2%, and after restarting, no matter what CD I insert into the DVD-ROM Drive, it spins for a few seconds and the tray ejects again. I've tried burned CDs, DVDs, etc, and all to the same result. The CD tray opens after a few seconds. If i close it again, same thing - it'll open up again a few seconds. It will stay closed if no CD is inserted. The CD-RW still reads CDs fine. Any ideas as to what the problem is? Any help on this situation would be greatly appreciated!

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

It seems as the DVD-ROM drive is bust! you need to get a new one! you can still copy with just the cd-writer. :cool:

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Sadly, I have to agree--it's busted. I've had very good luck with Toshiba DVD drives, and have heard Pioneer's are very good as well. Tough break and good luck!

4. theultimatechuff

theultimatechuff Geek Trainee

My fathers PC came with a Toshiba DVD about 5 years ago, still works fine in fact I just built him a new one and stuck that drive in it.

Personally I'm gonna go for a Pioneer they make l33t slot-in drives (kind of like the CD-Players you get in cars).