Creative Shows Off PCIe X-Fi

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Big B, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I think I echo many people when I say "About friggin' time!". It looks like Creative is getting ready to introduce a PCI Express x1 sound card in the X-Fi lineup. When is anybody's guess:

Now when and, movement advances to PCI Express from PCI, the X-Fi sound card of PCI Express edition probably is the feeling such as the long-awaited product just for those users. Regrettable, hearing in the nearby staff, concrete shipment time of these products and, as for product line-up and price you did not understand, but if you look at the card, with it seems that is already completed, that, it is thought product shipment is not particularly far.

That's been translated to English, so yes, it does read a little funny.

2. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

i've seen audio cards on PCIe for sale, so is this just stating that creative is now starting this or what

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I haven't. Not outside of those custom jobs Abit was using for awhile...

4. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

And the real life actual performance gains from moving to PCI to PCI-e is...?

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

None, but then PCI is faster than needed for sound cards too. But that's not the point. PCIe is here to replace PCI, PCI-X and AGP in one fell swoop. AGP is on life support and PCI will also be going the way of the dodo. Whats taking time is companies implementing products that we see in PCI format in PCIe. Those PCIe x1 slots aren't there just for looks.

6. Addis

Addis The King

I actually thought most modern sound cards were already using PCIe!

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I don't see any at places like Newegg. This is the first PCIe sound card I've seen. If someone has something to show to prove me wrong, have at it, but PCIe cards outside of video cards are still building up to a change-over.

8. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Does this mean my X-Fi Fatal1ty will be Obsolete and dead within 2 years and i will NEED to upgrade to a mobo with PCI-E 1x?

9. Addis

Addis The King

Any hardware is obsolete in 2 years, so I fail to see your worry. I wonder why you must always upgrade your PC every 3 months. I bet you can't tell the difference between your current sound card and the next high end one.

Your sound card will not die in 2 years, spare a thought for those of us using integrated sound.

10. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

PCIe sound card - Froogle
    PCIe sound cards, reason i even mentioned anything is that asus or its looks like asus has a sound card that come pre bundled with one of their new boards and its looks like PCIe x1

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, it does look like at least the professional level cards are there, which I wasn't aware of. I don't know anything about most of those brands listed, but judging by the price, they're not in the same class as X-Fi, as they're marketed at audio production. A lot of those cards in that search don't even have any jacks on the back of the card, so while, yes they are sound cards, they're not in the same class as an X-Fi, which is marketed for playback.

With Asus and other companies, those are proprietary cards that are used in conjunction with the on-board sound.

12. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

lol I still use a Creative Soundblaster PCI 512 which came out b4 windows 2k or XP existed ... hmmm what do u guys think, should I upgrade? :p

13. Willz

Lol i bet my intergrated sound is as good as that old thing :p

I should hope though that my X-Fi even tho PCI should last along time, even like 3 years, because i mean games still havent took full advantage of it, X-Ram aint been used yet..

14. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Can you say 'marketing gimmick'? ;)

15. Willz

Yea, i am aware that its a marketing gimic, but if game developers do decide to take advantage of the X-Ram, then i would expect it to give better performance in games.

16. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I can't see any real benefit of that XRAM or whatever. So you may get a few more FPS (and only a few at the very most) out of your games because more load is put on the soundcard and less on the rest of the system - if you're that worried about getting every last FPS then see a doctor :p

17. Willz

Lol, i aint, but surely it should be able to make a difference eventually, maybe more advanced effects, but still i dont think the X-Fi is ever been used ot its full potential.

Saying the X-Ram is useless is like saying, who needs ram on a graphics card....

18. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

No, it'd be more like saying "who needs RAM on something which won't be caching static sample sets in an era where the average home computer is already massively overpowered for basic audio processing"... so I guess nobody does.

19. Willz

But surely as games get more advanced, maybe the X-ram will become usefull eventually?

20. Addis

Addis The King

What if you don't have a Creative sound card? XRAM is an X-Fi only feature and so if I was a developer, I'd seriously think before dedicating time and money to cater for a proprietary product which hardly anyone has. To become useful eventually it needs to be useful now.