Creative X-Fi Drivers w/ Windows 7

Discussion in 'Drivers and Firmware' started by apathy311, Nov 18, 2009.

1. apathy311

apathy311 Geek Trainee

I currently own a Creative X-Fi PCI-e Titanium Fatality Edition (what a mouthful) sound card and have the latest drivers (2.17.0007) from Creative. I'm running windows 7 RC1 and when I run the windows update program it lists there being updated drivers available for my sound card (WDM I believe). I'm curious if I should stick with my current drivers or should I go with the Windows ones. I'm not experiencing any sound problems that I know of, but I do notice some possible audio/lag issues while gaming in TF2 and L4D.

Ideas?

p.s. - First Post

2. Peroxyde

Peroxyde Geek Trainee

As a rule I never update drivers from Windows Update if I can get them from the manufacturer. Because, simply, who do you expect to provide you with the latest updates? You should update your driver, that's just good practice, but you should do it via the manufacturer's website.

3. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

I agree. Always go through the manufacturers website, in this case Creative.com.

4. apathy311

apathy311 Geek Trainee

I checked the dates on the Creative drivers and the Microsoft drivers and found the WU was showing a newer date than Creative. After installing and restarting Creatives auto update program immediately appeared saying that my drivers were out of date. :doh: Went back and installed the Creative ones.

Curiosity sometimes is a waste of time.