custom Harddrive bay for case mod

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by russelluke, Sep 18, 2011.

1. russelluke

russelluke Geek Trainee

Hi and thanks for taking the time.

I'm working on a scratch case mod for the gaming rig I'm planning to put together. The budget for this rig is about R10000 or $1300 so I'm willing to spend allot of time and care in constructing it.

The rig will consist of components, similar in concept to the Thermaltake Level 10 case. I'm currently working on the design for the drive bay. I know very little about this particular part of computer systems and don't know where to even start.

Requirements:
    • Hard drive compartment Bay must support at least 5 drives.
    • 3 bays will be fixed to the chassis and have cable running directly to the board
    • The other two bays will be detachable and will basically be a hardrive enclosure that you can detach and plug into another PC's usb port. However, these two bays should not be limited to usb ports and should be able to connect direct to the board via SATA once it is placed back on the docking station.
    • No screws should be required at all for any of the bays. Should be something like a hot swap enclosure.
    How impossible would it be to construct this from scratch? Do you have any links that could help?
    Lastly could you tell me where I need to start looking. So far I've browsed through ebay and the hotswap enclosures/bays are highly priced and I'm not sure if they will work on a normal desktop or if they will limit the speed of the drives which would be unacceptable.

Also I forgot to mention, I was wondering if it's possible to use a smaller secondary power supply for the drives, including the optical drives which will be house in a compartment separate from the hard drives. Has anyone ever done that, using two separate PSU's for the motherboard and drives. What are your thoughts on that. Just thinking out loud.