d915 on asus p5vd2-vm overclocking

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by kithera, Aug 12, 2007.

1. kithera

kithera Geek Trainee

hi, i was wondering if anyone has had much success overclocking with this chip on this board. personally, i think that the board is quite weak. so im not willing to push it. i heard that even if the chip has room for overclocking sometimes itll make the board blow instead. so, i have the 915 on stock cooling @ 3 ghz and using the asus tools it shows idle temp at 46c Mboard at 42c. i know that this chip can apparently handle being at around 70c for days at a time. but could my mobo?
    if anyone has any experiance with this board on stock cooling, please let me know, thanks :)

2. kresshaynes

kresshaynes Geek Trainee

Don’t worry about heat these board reach temps of over 600 degrees ( F )
    during the MFG. process. Heck ball grid array baking alone takes 16 min. at 681 degrees. Heat is not an issue trust me.
    Memory timings and limits will be your biggest problem these are a working set of of voltages and timings that might give you a reference point to work with:

Vcore at 1.45V (stock is 1.325)
    Vram at 2.3V (stock is 2.0VB )
    FSB got a +0.1V boost
    MCH got a +0.1V boost
    PCI frequency was locked at 100MHz
    a 3x memory multiplier was used for a 1068MHz memory speed with 4-4-4-12 timing

This was done on a core duo e2160 and a gigabyte board but maybe you can use the voltage differences and convert. I Hope this helps in some meaningful way. Well im half dead from 20 hours of strait (Computer) trouble shooting ( I HATE WINdoze 2000 !!! and Vista for that matter especially vista ---VISTA= CR#P)

I guess im trying to say "heat no problem" "memory timings and voltages critical to stability "

BTW a core duo E2160 cpu is less than a hundred bucks and is twice as fast ( at least double on almost all bench marks) as your as your 915 and your board (p5vd2-vm) will accept it

(yes i know it runs at 1.8 ghz but it is still 33% faster on average than my old Pentium D 945 which i tossed to a friend when my e2160 hit me via fed ex)

I personally bench marked my pentium d 945 ( 3.4ghz 4meg L2 cache) before i swapped the chip out for my new core duo e2160 (1.8ghz 1meg L2 cache)

and the average frame rates were 30% to 40%
    better across-the-board (without over clocking) (FRAPS running in oblivion C&C Generals Intro test, Far Cry & Fear perseus Mandate demo. Opps also Future mark 2006 cputest and full benchmark ).

and speaking of overclocking ,the chip actually ran stable on my (other ) MB (Gigabyte) at 3.204ghz with the above timings and "buffalo fire styx" memory (1GB- 512X2 dual channel)

Have’nt had time to mess with the asus board much yet, as i have a small computer repair shop and business always booms when i get a new toy , thus preventing me from having any fun other than getting 4-5 hours sleep a night he he :)

speaking of sleep i need some right now hope this helps and i didnt ramble too much.
    Sleep deprivation is lethal to grammer spelling and coherency.. GOOD LUCK .

P.S. e2160 uses about half the power (watts) that the Pentium Ds use so your stock heatsink should be more than sufficient and worry you even less ;).