dare I open psu

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by jp, Aug 9, 2008.

1. jp

jp Geek Trainee

Hi! My pc switches off by itself but if I leave it off overnight it comes on for a few hours before switching off again. I've oiled a couple of fans, but the psu fan is inside the box so I need to open the box to access it. I've read scary stories about opening the psu, but is it ok just to oil the fan? Should I avoid touching everything else inside the box?

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Welcome to HWF :)

You should not open the PSU, and especially not oiling anything in there. When the computer shuts off by itself, you should remove the dust from the fans. You could use a can of compressed air for that.

3. jp

jp Geek Trainee

thanks for your reply. By oiling the fan I meant lifting the label over the bearing and dropping one drop of oil in. With the psu the fan is visible but I can only get to the bearing by opening the box. I have read that this is a no-no for those who don't know what their doing, but I thought maybe just to get to the fan, and not to attempt any kind of repair, it might be ok.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, with the info you've given, it would seem like a slow heat build up rather than a PSU issue.

If it were a PSU issue, you'd be more likely to see an issue powering the system up in the first place.

It sounds more like there's some dust build up in the system, which over time is creating an exhaust issue. I have no issue oiling a fan, but if the fans aren't making noise outside of the RPM, it's not going to fix the problem.

Secondly, if that oil drips anywhere, you could very well short something that shouldn't be.

The capacitors (the large cylinders) in a PSU hold a nice charge, and it can be lethal. That's why you want to be very careful when tinkering inside a PSU.

5. jp

jp Geek Trainee

thank you for your reply. I'm glad to have your thoughts. I have no idea when it comes to the mechanics of a pc. The fan is noisy which is why I tackled the other 2 and thought that oiling this one too might do the trick, but I see I can't get into the psu because what I thought I might unscrew, are nut shaped, but with a thread inside and I don't have a tool for this. Since the fan is noisy and I can't get inside should I just buy another one? If the problem is not with the psu where do you think I should look?