DDR RAM question

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by firefly, Jun 3, 2005.

1. firefly

firefly Geek Trainee

Hi there. I am new here anyway. Just discovered this forum an hour ago while browsing for computer stuff.

I have a MSI KM4M-V motherboard that support DDR 333. The problem is, these days i cannot find DDR RAM 333 anymore, as all the shops are selling DDR 400. My question is, can the DDR 400 be compatible to the DDR 333 slot on the motherboard? What are the consequences? Thanks. :cool:

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

yeah RAM can operate at slower speeds just fine. www.newegg.com
    Though I'd just get some ddr 333 or pc-2700 as it's commonly called.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

NF is right on. To elaborate, the RAM speeds are like tire speeds: they're guaranteed to work up to a certain speed. You can go 40mph on tires that are rated to run reliably at 150mph without issues. Same thing with RAM.

4. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yeah, ram is pretty much backward compatable so long as the pin number stay consistant, so no DDR2 (240pins compaired to the 184 with DDR1) for you (or myself). This will kick much butt.

5. firefly

firefly Geek Trainee

I currently have a 128mb PC2700, and i am planning to buy a 512mb PC3200. Can i mix up both? Will it function together?

6. Dave35k

Dave35k H4ck3r

its advised m8 not to mix to different clock types, they should both be the same speed. this is becasue if one goes faster than the other it waits for the other to catch up therfore u get a slower system. hope this helps Dave :good:

7. firefly

firefly Geek Trainee

I had checked my motherboard specification (MSI KM4M-V) and it says ''Supports DDR266/333 DDR SDRAM, and unbuffered DDR400 DIMMs for two 184-
    pin DDR DIMMs.''

What does it mean by ''unbuffered DDR400 DIMMs for two 184-
    pin DDR DIMMs.''

Please help. Thanks a lot.

8. firefly

firefly Geek Trainee

Sorry it was an error. The motherboard isn't MSi KM4M-V. However, I really would like to know what does it mean by ''unbuffered DDR400 DIMMs for two 184-
    pin DDR DIMMs.''

Thanks so much.

9. Addis

Addis The King

Buffered RAM is more reliable than unbuffered in terms of error correction but have higher latencies. Unless you want it for servers theres not much need.
    unbuffered DDR400 DIMMs for two 184 means that it will take upto DDR400 (PC3200) unbuffered DDR in those 2 184 pin slots.

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Buffered is referred to as Registered, and unless your hardware calls for it (pretty much in the server/workstation class), you're blowing extra money on a feature you can't really use.

11. firefly

firefly Geek Trainee

One more Question. Can i mix RAM of different brands? DO i need to stick with one brand?

12. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

As a general rule, you can, but sometimes this can cause compatibility issues. If you can, try to use the same brand.

13. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yea, mixing brands is usually okay, and using a 128 stick and a 512 stick should work, but I wouldn't recommend the RAM linked to above, I think, would be a bad move. The low latency settings on it would probably be too aggressive for your board and just make it crash. While you could raise them in the BIOS you would just be wasting money on something you're not using.

14. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I've never heard of compatable ram being too aggressive but I suppose you must know your stuff anyway dude. If you're worried just get cheaper DDR333 with a 2.5 latency.

15. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Well, latencies usually never cause a problem ,but if you have an old computer/motherboard they can. And when you get a new mobo DON't get MSI, they're evil :x:...

16. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yeah, so I've read, though I've heard that they did pretty well with nForce 4 anyway.

17. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

I haven't heard anything about them with nForce but as a general rule I stay with ABIT and ASUS, mainly ABIT. One great thing about ABIT is that they are built really well, so if you have a PSU fail it can completely fry the mobo but it will stop there, at least most of the time.

18. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

That's pretty handy, though I've heard that ABIT was a little on the cheap side they looked good to me anyway, though I'm all for Gigabyte myself.

19. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Well, personally I have no firsthand experience with Gigabyte, and haven't heard much about them, but ABIT makes solid products and recently, I have found that their Customer Support is second-to- none, unlike D-Link. Bad D-Link.