DDR2 800Mhz work in 533Mhz Slot?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by JeremyL, Jun 20, 2007.

1. JeremyL

JeremyL Geek Trainee

I have this motherboard: FRYS.com | ECS Elitegroup

The motherboard uses 533 DDR2 slots.

But the memory I have is 800Mhz: FRYS.com | KINGSTON

Will I have problems using the 800Mhz sticks on my motherboard or will they just default to using 533?

Thanks
    Jeremy

2. kazgirl

kazgirl Geek Trainee

Hi,

I havn't got this particular board myself, but I have an AM2 mobo made by ECS and I've been having problems with PC2-6400 RAM, the only way I can get the mobo to accept it is if I have at least one stick of PC2-5300 RAM installed, any other configuration and I get mobo bleeps at start-up, I've tried putting new PSU in and updating the BIOS, but still have the same problem, so I'm now doing a complete re-build.....hope you don't have the same problems.....only way to know is to put it in and see if it works...!!!

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

RAM speeds are like tire ratings in that they indicate the maximum supported speed. You would expect a tire rated for 150MPH to work fine at 40MPH. The same is true with RAM.

So long as it's the same memory type, there is no problem using a faster stick of RAM in a board with slower memory support. The memory may not run at top speed unless overclocked or manually set asynchronously in BIOS, but it will work.

4. eranga262154

eranga262154 Geek Trainee

Simply nor issues of using it.

5. jacob22

jacob22 Geek Trainee

DDR2 800Mhz work in 667Mhz Slot?

hey guys im new hear i have a prob also i have a biostar p4m900-m4 board and it supports up to 667mhz ddr 2 mem i have 800mhz 1 gb cosiair mem will this mem work in that slot i need to know b4 i buy it from the guy that want to sell me it plz reply asap

6. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

DDR2 800Mhz work in 667Mhz Slot?

If the board supports up to 667 MHz, you won't be able to use 800 MHz in that slot.

7. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

You won't get 800MHz out of it if the board doesn't support that speed, but memory will function at the top rated speed of the board. The memory will just be running a bit lower than its rated specs, which is fine.

8. jacob22

jacob22 Geek Trainee

ok understood so far....so does this mean that the pc wud scale down the 800 to 667 speed and run fine if so i wont mind until i change my motherboard

9. Anti-Trend

Yes, exactly. As long as the voltage matches, clocking down the speed of the DDR2 won't harm anything.

10. Felipe

Felipe Geek Trainee

Hello to everyone, i'm new at this forum. Congratulations for offering such a useful tool to the world!
    I have a problem similar to those described above. Today i bought a ddr2 800mhz 1gb memory, i currently use a ddr2 667mhz 512mb. When first I tried to install the new one together with the old one, the computer wouldn't start, but it would only show images on the screen similar to those of a TV with no signal. Then I thought it'd be better if I only install the new one (800mhz), but the computer wouldn't even start, not even show the funny images. Then I put the old one without the new one and the computer started OK. Why doesn't the ddr2 1gb 800mhz work with my motherboard when it says that supports 667/533mhz? Shouldn't the one with 800mhz go down to 667mhz? I'm absolutely novice in hardware handling!

Thanks in advance, and again congrats for such a great site!

11. Anti-Trend

Is the 800MHz stick the same voltage and CAS latency as the other stick? Some memory has different voltage requirements with others, and may not be compatible with your mobo.

12. Felipe

Felipe Geek Trainee

Hi Anti Trend and thanks for your kind answer. See, all I know about my motherboard and the memory I bought is this:

Motherboard;
    LGA 775 for Intel® Dual Core Core™ 2 Extreme / Core™ 2 Duo / Pentium® Dual Core / Celeron®, supporting Dual Core Wolfdale processors
    Intel® 945GC A2 Chipset
    Compatible with all FSB1333/1066/800/533MHz CPUs except Quad Core
    Supports Dual Channel DDR2 667/533 x 2 DIMM slots with max. capacity up to 4GB
    Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950, DirectX 9.0 and Max. shared memory 224MB
    1 x PCI Express x16 slot
    Hybrid Booster - Safe Overclocking Technology
    Untied Overclocking : During overclocking, FSB enjoys better margin due to fixed PCIE/ PCI Buses
    4 x SATAII 3.0 Gb/s connectors, 10/100 Ethernet LAN
    Windows® Vista™ Premium 2007 Logo Ready

Memory:

MARKVISION 1GB DDR2-800mhz-CL5
    PC6400U-50550 3-8111001

Kind regards!