Define the term 'hot'

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by yorkkev28, Nov 18, 2007.

1. yorkkev28

yorkkev28 HWF Minion

For the past 3 years ive been having trouble with my monitor turning off when playing online games, and for the first time i thought id do some stress testing on the main components to see if it yeilded any results.

Well when testing the only notables were my CPU which is running at 81% capacity and my graphics card which was running at 89 degrees c when under stress.

Now both seemed a little high, however on the graphics front i don't have a stick to measure against. Is 89 degrees, under stress, high?

And could this be why i get the problem.
    Also, why do they put the AGP slot at the bottom of the case where the least amount of air flow is?

2. Addis

Addis The King

I think that generally graphics cards run hotter than CPUs, but even so 89c is still a bit too high. 70 would be more acceptable. Then again, it's been years since I last tested graphics cards and temps.

3. gazaway

gazaway Geek Trainee

Well, 89 degrees is definately warm, but it's not overly hot. Video cards are mostly made to go to very high temperature levels with some temp thresholds being in the hundreds. It could be that your powersupply isn't supplying the correct amount of power the your AGP card. That would be a more likely answer. It could also be a bad driver. Are you using a DVI port or a reg VGA port? If using the DVI - try disconnecting the DVI cable from the back of your computer and plugging it back in next time this happens. There was a time when I had this issue due to crappy ATI drivers and doing this would fix my issue.