Degree with Computers

Discussion in 'IT Careers and Certification' started by vinnys025, Aug 3, 2006.

1. vinnys025

vinnys025 Geek Trainee

I'm looking to get my second degree, one in which I can actually make some money with. Does anyone know where the money is at when it comes to computers? What is in demand these days? Also, if you know the name of the degree. Thanks in advance....SHOW ME THE MONEY!!

2. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Have you considered Microsoft MCSE + Cisco CCNA certifications?

You're looking at an average salary of £40K

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Certifications are, IMO, the way to go, particularly if you'd rather do it on your own terms. College, at least from my experience is really a waste of time for computing and practical application. Most of the stuff I already knew and the stuff I wanted to know more about they simply glanced over. I'm starting to study for my A+, which I should've gotten a long time ago. I'd rather get the certifications and know that I actually know the stuff than go blow cash at a college and not walk away with anything new. Certifications cost money to take, but if you pass them, you have a little bit more instant gratification.

4. zeus

zeus out of date

Ive never worked with computers but did look at the computeach courses a year or so ago. They basically do the Microsoft certificates for £4k a throw! I spoke to a few system administrators at a surveying company and they said not to bother with the certificates but to go to University instead. Maybe the certificates are not as rated here as in America? Look at job websites, when I did most asked for a degree, though some did ask for the certificates. I was also made to realise I was unlikely to earn big money straight away.

Even if you do go for a certificate dont bother with computeach. They send round a salesman who wont tell you exactly what the courses involve. They just say it will take this amount of hours and you will earn this amount of money at the end. The only literature they give you is a four page leaflet and the courses cost £4k. I bought a few past exam papers from ebay, it gives you an idea of what is involved in the courses.

Im in my 4th year with the open university and I couldnt over rate them if I tried. Nothing like computeach! You can study full time with the OU too, its not part time 10 year degress like people think! An honours degree with them costs about £4k also but you can get grants of up to £850 (i think) for the courses and £250 for.... well I spent my last £250 on petrol and guinness mostly! You can only get the grant if you earn less than £16k. Ive practically got a diploma for free.

Search around and ask lots of people in the business.

5. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

The A+ Certification is a great place to start, although you'll find it very difficult to find a job with that alone.

I've got the A+ and N+ certifications, and nobody wants to know me until I get my MCSE. It can be tough to get your foot in the door.

If I could turn back time, I would never have gone to college to obtain my MCSE. They charge the earth and give back very little in terms of quality tutor time. I have learned a lot more reading the books then I have attending the classes.

I could have spent as little as £200 on my MSCE (just for the books). Instead I shelled out thousands for some crappy lessons.

Take my advice and just buy the books.

For your reference, I found the Sybex A+ Certification book very helpful

6. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I'm going to University in September to do a Degree in Internet Computing. If I don't get my first choice I'll be going to a different University to do Network Computing and Web Media (and I can get Cisco certs from that too)

From what I've heard getting a Degree can be good but lots of places like some experience too, that's why with my course (a 'sandwich' course) I do 2 years at University, then a year at a work place and then a final year at University.

7. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

well i have to agree with Big B, if you are set on going to a school it would be smart to go for a major like computer sciences. From exerpience, quick in out places like ITT or Devry are not the way to go, unless its some private school with some actual prestige, i would steer away. For the most part its the best idea to get certified on your own, and if you want, go to a university or even a community collage. For a specific career path, theres computer administrator, computer programmer although i've read there might be a 15% reduction in computer programmers by 2008. Also computer networking, or a pretty hot area computer network security.

8. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

I am agree with you matt in this one coz I've heard lots of rumers in NZ that if you have a vast experience then employers won't be intrested in looking at your certificates.
    About Degree; I finished my DipICT last year and now am planning to do degree in Networking. Reason of selecting the network side because Software/programming trend changes oftenly and if you want to go with the time, you have to update yourself side by side. So, its never ending process.

9. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

I've just got qualified in a degree : Computer Forensics ;)

I've also got: CCNA / CCND and i've found work quite quickly - and thats in Norwich - a seriously LOW wage city - with minimal IT jobs available..

10. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Computer Forensics looked rather interesting when I was looking at Degree options, should be fun!

I was in Norwich last week :)
    (Well I went through it to get to Eccles (sp?) on Sea)

11. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Certifications will get you high-end jobs, if you have enough of them and can interview well. But here's my personal plea: please learn the technologies you will be working with, inside and out. I work with people every day who have a long string of alphabet soup after their names, but have no idea what they're actually doing. If you take the extra time to actually learn the technologies by running your own labs on your off hours and implementing networks for non-profits, etc, you will go very far! Otherwise, you can't "fake it" forever. :)

12. Addis

Addis The King

I really should revise my A+ again and actually take the exam, but with no income as of yet the exams are pretty expensive, and I have college starting in a few weeks.