Dell Inspiron 1501 keyboard problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by letterbomb05, Aug 12, 2008.

1. letterbomb05

letterbomb05 Geek Trainee

Hi, I've had my dell inspiron 1501 for over a year now, it's been well used in that time. I now have a keyboard problem with the laptop. When i'm typing (in any program, may it be a text editor or web browser), I can type a few letters (I type pretty quick, as fast as anyone that uses a computer most days) then as I'm typing the letters start coming up very slowly, and the curser moves along ALOT slower than I'm typing. It appears to be lagging or something. Sometimes the curser jumps and a load of letters appear at the same time.

I've tried using an external USB keyboard and the same problem persists. I've even tried wiping the laptop. Occasionaly, I boot up the laptop and the problem doesn't occur until i reboot again. I've just wiped it using dell system restore, and the problem didn't occur so I thought great! It's gone. Then I rebooted and it reoccured... Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Sounds like a driver problem,have you tried updating the driver ? Also run any Anti virus software you have..

3. letterbomb05

Can't find any drivers, and I've run anti-virus software, found nothing.

4. ruins

ruins Geek Trainee

Were you able to fix this problem? My brother has the same issue.

5. letterbomb05

Ruins, sorry I pretty much gave up on the problem and just started using desktops, however, I installed ubuntu on the laptop (not full version, just so that I can select if I want to boot Windows XP or Ubuntu in startup without disk partition) and on Ubuntu,the keyboard works fine. This seems to indicate that the problem lies in windows itself, and therefore if you completely wipe your system and reload the operating system from scratch, it should solve the issue.

Hope it works!
    Letterbomb05.