Dell Optiplex SX280 - *think* it's a power problem

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by chaucolai, Dec 14, 2009.

1. chaucolai

chaucolai Geek Trainee

Hi there,
    A friend of ours gave us an old nonworking Optiplex SX280. I don't know the background etc. but currently it doesn't work (just to make it obvious). The power light flashes amber (on the front) and the light underneath the HDD stays solid amber. The diagnostic lights don't work.
    When hooked up to a monitor the screen stays blank. Any peripherals do nothing, obviously.

I have rechecked all connections I can find and reseated the processor and memory. I am not sure but I'm thinking that the things that look like "batteries" are the capacitors and they all have a silver top, no brown or anything like that. The metal prong things behind the processor (no idea what they are called sorry) are sticking up in all different directions.
    I have tried the power supply with different outlets and they are not working, don't want to spend money on buying another supply if that's not the problem.

Does anyone know the problem and what I can do to fix it? Please simplify, I haven't delved much into the world of hardware and have had to consult many pictures just to realize what is what.