difference between passive active cpu?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by sklnner, Jul 13, 2007.

1. sklnner

sklnner Geek Trainee

hello, could anyone explain me what is the difference between an active and a passive processor? i saw it in a description in newegg

in the net i found info mostly about active and passive processor heatsinks but i think thats not the case
    i also found a pdf which says about active and passive signal processors
    the passive signal processors would only react to other processors or smthn
    i dont know if its the same case but i didnt understand it very well and it sure didnt give any idea for which one could be the right processor to buy
    could you enlighten me on this?

it also said about u1, u2 in the description, what is this exactly?
    in the pdf i also found some mentions on u1 regarding the ram chips,
    but no other clues either to help me understand it
    ---
    thnx
    ---
    edit: about the active passive heatsinks i said, i missunderstood i thought it was about active (processor heatsink) but i now suppose its (active processor) heatsink and its the heatsink of an active processor not an active heatsink for a processor - so im dumb, big surprise..
    ---
    edit: i think i figured it out (well it took my a while...obviously), if you want two processors then you can buy a passive and an active and then the passive will only react to signals sent by the active but if you want only one processor then you can only buy the active since the passive would expect another (active) processor to send a signal to react to
    can someone confirm this? is this the case?

---
    edit: everything above is wrong, i found the information and i post it for everyone who needs it
    the difference between a passive and an active processor lies in their cooling methods
    the active (boxed) processor is equipped with a heatsink and cooling fan built in with the cpu
    the passive processor is equipped with a heatsink only
    ---
    one question still unanswered, what does u1, u2 (found on a cpu description) mean?
    ok i found that too, it regards to the height/type of the heatsink of the processor
    ---
    if something (black letters) is false/wrong please reply
    thnx

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

U1, U2, U5. Those are types of rackmount cases. U1 and U2 are just a few inches thick, and require heatsinks that can fit in the small space. U5 cases really don't suffer from that as they're pretty thick and can accomodate normal cooling.

As for active/passive, yeah, it's just in regards to wether the CPU heatsink comes with a fan or not.

3. sklnner

sklnner Geek Trainee

i knew u is kind of height unit for rackmounts but i thought 2u was big enough for a heatsink to fit thats why i didnt understand it anyway
    thnx for clearing this out for me and hey thnx for taking a moment to confirm the processor stuff, i needed it
    cu around