Different memory/CPU ratios in BIOS and CPU-Z

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by doctorul, Jun 2, 2009.

1. doctorul

doctorul Geek Trainee

Hi guys,

I've been reading a lot these days about my problem but couldn't find something that would apply to my situation.

OK so I'm trying to overclock my girlfirend's old Sempron 2600+ 1.6 Ghz on her old Asus K8V-X SE motherboard, 512 MB RAM DDR400 Kingston.

Default settings: 8x multiplier (locked), FSB 200, memory:CPU ratio - 1:1.
    In CPU-Z, Memory tab, I get 200Mhz, that would be 2x200 = 400.
    OK, no problem there.

In BIOS I set the FSB to 266, the memory:CPU ratio to 4:3 and also the AGP/PCI to 66/33.
    So now I should get 266*8=2128 Ghz to the CPU and 3/4=0,75*266=199,5x2=399 Mhz to the RAM, right? Also the AGP/PCI slots should be OK.

I boot into Windows, open CPU-Z and in the Memory tab I get 177,3 Mhz instead of 199,5 and a ratio of CPU/12 -> 2128/12=177,33333?!?!

I restart the computer, go into BIOS again, set the memory:CPU ratio to 3:2 just to see what happens, I lower the FSB to 250 and load Windows again.
    Now CPU-Z reads 2000 Ghz to the CPU (250*8) and 200 Mhz to the memory, with a ratio of CPU/10, when in fact the memory reading should be at 2/3=0,66*250=166,66 Mhz?!

As far as I see it, the BIOS calculation should be right. Do I just have to ignore the CPU-Z results regarding memory speeds and stick to the first setting or am I missing something?

2. Zenskas

Zenskas Geek Trainee

Have you got the latest version of CPU-Z? Maybe try using another program which might tell you the correct values. Although the BIOS would probably be the most accurate.

3. doctorul

doctorul Geek Trainee

Thanks Zenskas!
    That's what I thought...
    I'll try to update my CPU-Z (I don't think I have the latest version installed) and I'll also check with Memtest.

Any suggestions other than this? Should CPU-Z be reliable in a situation like mine?

4. Zenskas

Zenskas Geek Trainee

In some cases CPU-Z is not reliable. The CPU voltage in my PC is shown a little lower than what it is in the BIOS. I'm not sure if there are too many other programs that show detailed CPU information though.