different ram sizes

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by peanut, Jul 14, 2005.

1. peanut

peanut Geek Trainee

does any one know why when i look at what my system information at the ram it says i have 256mb and when i look at the ram chip it says its 256mb but when i go to control panel->system it says i only have 192mb??

2. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

I believe...

it is because 1 gig in hard disk size is 1024Mb, but 1 gig in windows is 1000.

So if you work it out, there is going to be a slight difference in the totals due to the different way they are totalled.

(I have 4 sticks of 512 = 2048, windows detects it as being 2.00gb exactly).

Check your BIOS on the memory count for the exact figure.

peanut likes this.
  3. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

it may be because required services have already sliced a chunk of your RAM off

4. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yea the rest of the RAM may not be..... ohh whats the word...... allocated. Yea, that may have something to do with it, but I have no idea.

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Good point waffles but that'd be too big a chuck for a rouded number, they'd probably just say 250. I don't really understand it because windows says I have 512 in system and I do. Does it always say this after a reboot for instance?

6. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

I don't know about this, but my dad's computer says the same thing. His reads 192 MB when it has 256 MB or RAM. I will appreciate the answer to this also.

7. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Well lets see if you have onboard video or don't have it enabled than chances are its sucking away 64Mb's. Either that or if you're using a GeForce 6200TurboCache or X300 HyperMemory card then they could be set to "borrow" that much mem also. Hope this answers the question.

8. peanut

peanut Geek Trainee

that may be the answer because i do have an onboard graphics/video card how would you check this theory out without disabling the graphics/video card?

9. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Look under adaptor in properties>display>advanced, should be there. Otherwise just post what model computer you have and we'll be able to bring something up on it:)

peanut likes this.
  10. peanut

peanut Geek Trainee

when i go there it says that the memory size is only 32mb but i also have an onboard sound card would that also take away the other 32mb? which would then equal 64mb

11. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Hmmm, I don't belive that sound cards use your ram but I could be wrong. Can you take a screen shot of the box so I can see the options? Thanks.

12. peanut

peanut Geek Trainee

memory box[​IMG]

13. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Might want to edit that, use imageshack to upload the screen shot:)

14. peanut

peanut Geek Trainee

k i think ive done it

Attached Files:

15. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Thank you, well my guess is 32 is the default but it can allocate more when necessary? Maybe 64MB is the max. Are there any opitions listed under properties in that menu?

16. peanut

peanut Geek Trainee

there is nothing in the properties that will allow you to change the 32mb to 64mb

17. Addis

Addis The King

You can change the graphics memory buffer in the BIOS. 32mb is on the actual card.

18. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yea that is exactly what happening, my dad's computer has integrated too. But I see no reason to change the amount of memory.

19. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

What I don't understand is if 32Mbs is build into the card then why would 32Mb's in addtion to the 32 already taken be allocated?

20. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

we just may never know (gasp)