Direct X Dilemma

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by LeeShore, Aug 5, 2005.

1. LeeShore

LeeShore Geek Trainee

A good day to one and all ! Well it would be if i didnt have this problem i need you to help me with ! Been playing Half Life 2 , Brothers in Arms , GTR and enjoying every minute ! I install GTA san andreas , installs fine then when i load it crashes on the menu screen ! I install Battlefield 2 , installs fine then when i try to load it crashes with message 'dx3d9_25.dll could not be found' ! Easyinfo and Belarc advisor say i have dx9c but when i checked the dxdiag it says i have 8.1 ! Havent a clue whats happend there !
    Stress !

Help me PLEASE !! :)

2. ThePenguinCometh

ThePenguinCometh There is no escape

I would try to uninstall DirectX and re-install it fresh as it sounds like the last upgrade did not go smoothly.

LeeShore likes this.
  3. LeeShore

LeeShore Geek Trainee

Dont Laugh !!!! :eek: How would i go about doing that safely then ?

4. ThePenguinCometh

Hmmm... can't seem to find a way to uninstall it. In that case try to re-install the latest version and then run "dxdiag" from the command line and see if that finds any problems.

5. LeeShore

LeeShore Geek Trainee

Tried to reinstall dx9 , 9b and 9c ! Getting the message that sofware does not pass microsoft WHQL ! Now normaly you'd press 'continu anyway' , but there is no 'continue anyway' on the message just the close cross in the corner ! :eek:hah: The windows installer then tells me that the software could not be copied !

I allso cant find anyway to uninstall/reinstall directx !

6. ThePenguinCometh

Did you try running dxdiag?

7. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I've not tried this program as I just found it to help you out since it does sound like a DirectX problem http://www.superfoxs.com/

[formatbox=DirectX Happy Uninstall]1. Support Windows 98/Me/2000/XP/2003.
    2. Support to DirectX9.0c(4.09.00.0904) completely and safely.
    3. Uninstall DirectX completely and keep your system Stability.
    4. Use "Repaire of dynamic intelligence" technology, guarantee that the system and registry avoid any mistake after uninstall/restore/rollback.
    5. Support uninstall different versions of DirectX.
    6. Restore/Rollback original DirectX of your Win2000/XP/2003 completely.
    7. The "Check DX Groupware" and "DX Diagnostic Tools" function can take you to see mistake by another DX uninstall tools
    8. Have Backup funtions, it can restore the origingal files of DirectX in your 2000/XP/2003.
    9. You can Rollback DirectX from your 2000/XP/2003 setup CD-ROM completely.
    10. You can check uninstall/restore/rollback completely by this DirectX Happy Uninstall.
    11. Uninstall DirectX very fast.

Attention:
    (1).Please close all of the current application before use "DirectX Happy Uninstall".
    (2).If your system is Windows ME, you must turn into Safe Mode before to use.
    (3)."DirectX Happy Uninstall" is shareware, all funtions is used for the registered user.
    (4).You must be logged on as an Administrator, or a member of the Administrators' group to use DirectX Happy Uninstall.[/formatbox]

LeeShore likes this.
  8. LeeShore

LeeShore Geek Trainee

Hmmm ..... ? Unfortunatly the machine im trying to fix is a stand alone , no net connection at the minute ! Downloaded that dxuninstaller to a removable drive , plonked it on , functions only work if you have a registered copy ! DAMN !

re-thepenguin' ! Like i said , DXDIAG is reporting dx8.1 , EAsy info says dx9c , Belarc advisor says dx9c !

9. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Are you sure you have a legitimate copy of directX?
    If in doubt just re-download it from m1cr0s0ft's site and then try re-installing it!
    Could also be a virus.

10. LeeShore

LeeShore Geek Trainee

Hi Pelvis 3 and thanks for your input ! Tried to reinstall 9c , no good ! Keeps telling me that 'Directx could not copy a file ' (singular) ! So i take it theres 1 (or more) missing ! Checked for viruses and apparantley there isnt ! Installed these omega drivers (hadnt heard of them till i came here,much better) , theyve plonked a dxtool in my control panel but that allso states ive got 9c ! Someone allso said to delete the -

HKey_local_Machine_/software/Microsoft/DirectX file in the regedit to reset to 8.1 only ! Does that sound safe to anybody ? Me not sure !!!

ps.Id contemplate a reformat ... but that seems like over kill when im still able to play Half Life 2 with 70-100fps ! M head hurts ! :)

11. pelvis_3

After hearing all this the only way to fix it i think is just to reformat but dx9 is DEFINATELY installed as hl2 requires it to run! otherwise you could just live with what dxdiag is telling you and keep on playing!

LeeShore likes this.
  12. LeeShore

LeeShore Geek Trainee

I think your right ! Tried deleting entry in registry (hkey_local' blah blah ) ! It left me with no dx at all (dx 0.0 installed), couldnt reinstall any dx9 version so i restored it back to were i was ! Nuts !

Dont think i can live with the fact that i cant get GTA SA or Battlefield 2 to load ! IT MUST BE SORTED ! ;)

Thanks to all for your input ! :good:

ps If anybody can think of any other reason for them not loading bar directx PLEASE let me know ? :)

13. pelvis_3

Regarding that you could a search for that file and see where and if its located, if its located in a game folder you could try re-installing them and see what happens.
    Also its possible its a driver problem.

14. LeeShore

LeeShore Geek Trainee

Tried searching for it , no entries anywhere !
    As for it being a driver problem ive got Omega 5.7's for my 9800 , ive got a Sblaster live 5.1 and the only drivers ive ever been able to locate are ones dated feb '03 ? Could it be my sound card ?

15. pelvis_3

Then id say that file would be on the installtion cd's somewhere but with the drivers you could go to www.download.com and get older drivers (dont downgrade too far) and see what happens.
    I dont think its a sound card issue but you could re-install your sound card if your willing!
    p.s- did you try looking in the game folders yourself? because sometimes windows cant find crap!

16. LeeShore

LeeShore Geek Trainee

Took your advice and searched all folders and have located 4 files of different types with the same name ! All in the local_temp file ! Stupid windows ! Should i delete them or try and relocate them ?

17. pelvis_3

well put! (STUPID WINDOWS), it wouldnt be advised to delete them but trying other means (as mentioned), write back and let us know!
    BTW, are those Omega drivers a beta version? as they are sometimes unstable or incomplete. I dont know much about ATI drivers as i have never owned one. GeForce all the way for me.

LeeShore likes this.
  18. LeeShore

LeeShore Geek Trainee

The options on these omega drivers compared to standard ones is much MUCH better ! Noticed a slight frame rate boost to ! Doesnt say there BETA version so i assume there not !
    As for ATI and NVIDIA im unbiased , had both and they both have there benefits !
    Had a FX5600 though and it caused me nothing but grief !

I'll let ya know how i get on , thanks chief !

19. pelvis_3

no worries, im unbiased also but i think AMD and GeForce make a perfect couple, its a shame i missed the wedding :)

20. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

its just a suggestion but u cud use some tool such as norton system utilities to scan your registry files for any viruses or any miscorrections in ur pc...maybe some things wrong/missing with your registry entries..

LeeShore likes this.