Display Problem

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by JAY, Sep 5, 2005.

1. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

lately my monitor is suddenly displaying some horizontal black lines after i boot up.i actually used my tv to test whether it had the same prob..n it did..so im assuming that my monitor is fine.i had recently installed SP2..i had an error message(blue screen) that told me that it was "nv4_disp"..i re-installed the drivers..it was working fine..but it started to slightly display those black lines again.it previously had totally blacked out..i cudnt see anything on the monitor.i also went into bios n loaded the optimized defaults.that seemed to solve the problem.bt im starting to see the lines again..any idea what actually causes the problem?

2. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Can you test another Graphics Card in the system?

3. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

For a start make sure that you card is well snuggled (pushed in) into your motherboard,

As well as trying a diffrent graphics card in your system, can you try yours in another computer?

4. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

i know my card is not faulty cos ive tried using onboard graphics and it has the same result..yesterday when i turned it on,it had the same prob..i installed the latest drivers for nvidia ie 78.01..but it had the same problem..it usually does that when i dont turn the pc for about a half a day...after using it for about an hour it gets normal..

5. Impotence

Ok, Have you got a spare HD lying around?

I would sugest removing your hard disk (and putting it somewhere safe) and put the spare one in... and then install and completely update windows.

If you dont get the lines etc when you are using the fresh install of windows then i woudl suggest that you run the repair option [on the XP disc] and if that fails to sort the problem then i think you are going to have to re-install windows.

Or, you can test your hardware by using a Live linux disc to see if you still get the flickers on the screen (it wont modify anything on your hard disc as it runs completely from the CD)

Click here to see a list of download mirrors for ubuntu linux, choose one and download a live cd (choose the x86 live CD)... its 640 MB so it make take awhile!

6. pelvis_3

That may suggest your monitor is 'warming up', try it on another computer if possible and report back!

7. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

i think my card is faulty..its a geforcefx 5900xt card that i bought in January...i tested a 16mb card n ddnt have any probs..im using onboard graphics rite now..cant play any games...i installed windows from scratch..now im sure its the card...so any idea how 2 fix this???i think i have a PSU of 250W..is that enough for 2HDDs,768mb,n my card also uses power supply..

8. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

that PSU is no where near enough, apart from not supplying enough watts it probably wont supply enough amps on the 12v rail either

9. Impotence

250W!!!! (wow) i would suggest you get a 400w psu!

10. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

its an aopen PSU its written on the PSU "DC OUTPUT 250W" ...n if its really 250w will it not run my card...or is my card really faulty..what shud i do cos im broke..

11. pelvis_3

JAY likes this.
  12. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah but remember its not all about watts, you need a decent amperage on the 12v rail in order to be able to make it run as well, PSU companies will try to trick you by saying "500W only £Cheap" but you really need to go with a trusted brand, one that is capable of delivering good clean power and constant power at a range of temperatures

JAY likes this.
  13. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

so which PSU should be reliable for me?which brands?

14. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

here's my specs.
    P4 2.8Ghz, system bus 533mhz, 512Kb L2-cache, PGA 478
    motherboard~Gigabyte GA-8SIMLH-P,agp4x,SIS 651
    2 hard disks--40gig each
    2 optical drives--DVD rom, Aopen cd-writer
    2 DDR Ram--256 n 512 mb
    geforceFX 5900xt graphics card---uses power supply

so now im sure that 250w is not enough for my pc..will 350w be enough?any suggestions are welcome...thanks

15. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Something that's AT least 400W or better from any of the following companies:

Enermax
    Antec
    OCZ
    Fortron
    Sparkle

For the Rolls Royce option:

PC Power & Cooling
    Zippy
    Emacs

Off-hand, I know Newegg is selling an Enermax 420W unit for about $50 or so and the 535W (EG 565P-VE) for around $80.

One brand you should stay the hell away from is Q-Tec. Everytime someone comes in with that brand of power supply, they tend to be the cause of the problem.

JAY likes this.
  16. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

thanx alot BigB..any idea as to whether 'A-link' is a good brand?

17. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Well, I've never heard of them, but I wouldn't count on it. Probably the cheapest PSU that's worth buying is a Thermaltake 420watt TruePower. They cost about $40/US. Very solid PSUs for the cash - I've built at least a dozen entry-level systems around that PSU, and never had a problem with one to date. For higher-end systems I use Enermax, but they cost around 2x as much as the Thermaltake I recommended. Honestly the Thermaltake would be just fine for your specs. The way I figure it, if your PSU actually puts out the amount of wattage it promises (most generic PSUs don't even come close to what the label says), you need about 280watts of clean power for stable operation. Since the Thermaltake 420 PurePower really does put out about 420 watts of power, you'll be well within spec for just a little cash. Hopefully the insufficient/dirty power from the last PSU didn't damage any components. :eek:hah:

All the best,
    -AT

P.S. - Here's a link to that PSU I mentioned at Newegg.com... don't know if you're in the states or not, but they're a really good vendor.

JAY likes this.
  18. Vahit Gurkan Kacır

Vahit Gurkan Kacır Geek Trainee

most generic PSU's don't even come close to what the label say !!