Do I need more power?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by cblegend, Feb 3, 2008.

1. cblegend

cblegend Geek Trainee

Iv just bought a new pc with a 425w power supply. I have a 8800gtx 768 and quad core Q6600(2.4ghz) and 4 gig ram (800). Do i need more power and if so is it possible to link an extra one up from the existing one or can you only have one onboard? Hope that made sense. Thanks for any info given.

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Welcome to HWF :)

With that setup, I'd suggest at least a 450 watts PSU (the 450W Corsair PSU would be a good choice). I got a similar setup, and I'm using a Corsair 650W PSU.

Yes, you can use a 2nd power supply in a PC. But instead of buying a 2nd PSU, it's better to get 1 new PSU to juice the whole PC.

3. cblegend

cblegend Geek Trainee

Right thanks very much. So out of interest if i get a second one at 450w connected to my 425w does that mean i'll get 875w or does it use the higher one? Also is there any special conditions to hooking a separate one to the one inside my pc? Im not very technical on this sort of thing!

4. RHochstenbach

You could use a 2nd PSU to give power to the harddisks or the graphics card only (divide the devices amongst 2 PSUs). You don't get a higher wattage, but you're actually removing devices from the 1st PSU, so it doesn't need to power these devices thus having more juice available.

You just need to connect the PCIe power connectors of the 2nd PSU to your graphics card.

But in that case you're having a 2nd PSU hanging on your PC.

So it's better to get 1 high performance 450W PSU or a 600W+ PSU. If you have a low budget, you might consider getting a second hand PSU from ebay.

If you need help finding a good PSU, take a look at this thread.

5. cblegend

cblegend Geek Trainee

Ah right thanks again for the info. The reason I asked about connecting the second one is im not confident in taking apart my pc.

6. RHochstenbach

Sure, no problem :)