Dodgy touchpad

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Jimmy_M, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Jimmy_M

Jimmy_M Geek Trainee

Hi there,

I have an ASUS Eee PC 1215B that I bought new about 2-3 months ago. It had been working fine until about a week ago when the touchpad (Synaptic) started playing up.

When I first turn on the laptop, the touchpad seems to work fine. After a random length of time (anywhere from seconds to hours) the touchpad starts to only operate as if I am doing a multi-touch move (ie zoom, scroll etc) even though I am only touching the pad in one spot with one finger. The touch pad icon in the bottom right side of the screen displays a blue dot as if I am touching the pad in two spots. When it is working normally it displays a green dot when touching in one spot and a blue dot when touching in two spots.

When I try to move the cursor as normal, it just zooms or scrolls. If I double tap and hold my finger on the pad on the second tap, then move my finger, the cursor sometimes moves like normal, but doesn't always go where you expect it to, or sometimes only goes straight up or down.

Turning the touchpad off and then back on does not fix the problem. Shutting the laptop lid, and opening it again after it has gone to sleep usually resets the touchpad to normal, but not always. It always starts to play up again after a while.

I have the latest driver for the touchpad.

I am 100% sure that I am not 'accidently' touching the pad in two places.

I can not think of any other software I have installed recently and have not detected any viruses.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.
    Hi there,

I have an ASUS Eee PC 1215B that I bought new about 2-3 months ago. It had been working fine until about a week ago when the touchpad (Synaptic) started playing up.

When I first turn on the laptop, the touchpad seems to work fine. After a random length of time (anywhere from seconds to hours) the touchpad starts to only operate as if I am doing a multi-touch move (ie zoom, scroll etc) even though I am only touching the pad in one spot with one finger. The touch pad icon in the bottom right side of the screen displays a blue dot as if I am touching the pad in two spots. When it is working normally it displays a green dot when touching in one spot and a blue dot when touching in two spots.

When I try to move the cursor as normal, it just zooms or scrolls. If I double tap and hold my finger on the pad on the second tap, then move my finger, the cursor sometimes moves like normal, but doesn't always go where you expect it to, or sometimes only goes straight up or down.

Turning the touchpad off and then back on does not fix the problem. Shutting the laptop lid, and opening it again after it has gone to sleep usually resets the touchpad to normal, but not always. It always starts to play up again after a while.

I have the latest driver for the touchpad.

I am 100% sure that I am not 'accidently' touching the pad in two places.

I can not think of any other software I have installed recently and have not detected any viruses.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. violetblueskies

violetblueskies Big Geek

determine if this is hardware problem or software.
    you could download a boot disc of some kind that loads a mouse driver in a dos/linux environment such as hdd diag software (anything that takes you away from windows environment).
    leave it on for a while and see if you encounter the same problem with the mouse action/movements.
    chances are good if it persists then its hardware.
    then you could take it apart enough to where you can access the little ribbon cable that connects to the motherboard and reconnect it.
    then again you only had it for 3 months and it should still be in warranty with the manufacturer.
    so unless you feel good about taking it apart and possibly voiding warranty, i would send it in for warranty repair.
    otherwise let us know if it doesn't do it outside of windows environment.