D'oh! Forgot the AGP/PCI lock!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Big B, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

In order to combat the awful heat of my XP 2000+ with the old (and rather toasty) Palimino core, I picked up an XP2400+ with the Thorton core (It's a Barton w half the L2 cache). Couldn't overclock worth a damn. Voltage. Lower memory timings, and even an attempt to lower the multiplier (doesn't seem to work---oh well). During the course of yesterday's overclocking efforts, I had to reset CMOS. I'd reset everything to my liking, but I forgot to set the AGP bus to 66MHz (which IIRC) is linked to the PCI bus. Now, I'm running stock voltage and have the chip at just over 2.2GHz. We'll see how the brutal tag-team of Prime95 and Folding At Home work on the chip. The thing is, I could have this up to 2.4GHz, but I may have to jump to a little better cooling by then. But we'll see.

2. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

what cooling you using to cool that thorton?

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Thermalright SK-7. I've been debating getting a newer chip, just because the Palimino's do run extremely hot. Mine went as high as 63*C under load. Switching to the new chip has given me at least a 10*C drop in temps.

4. Addis

Addis The King

my TBred hits 50c under load. and i thought that was hot.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'm doing 52*C right now @ stock speeds under load. I've found that Folding @ Home tends to heat things up quite a bit.

6. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

folding@home does heat things up a bit...i had it running and i was playing star wars galaxies, i just touched my heatsink to check its temp and it was a little too hot to keep my finger there.